Cybertrader Pro connectivity issues

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by sasha1, Sep 29, 2001.

1. I switched to Interactive Brokers. Their commision schedule is very good: 1 cent/share for the first 500 shares, 1/2 cent after that. No time restrictions. This allows you to scale in and out in your time frame, not some arbitrary 2 min window.

Also, I find executions faster than with Cyber. I'm primarily trading NYSE and ISLD (don't have any experience with SuperSOES)

#11     Sep 29, 2001
  2. kensmith

kensmith

Hi

I use cybertrader pro from UK. My connections are ADSL with high speed cable broadband as backup. I lose connections about two or three times a day. It usually reconnects, if not I dump ADSL for cable, which takes about 45 seconds to have software running again.

Over the past five days my connection loss rate has been average.

I run win2000 on 900mhz with 512mb ram on 30 gig hard drive.

On software I have 6 level II stock boxes, 7 charts, DJ news, cyberquant searching my own set up, alerts, ISLD flow, trade order flow, watch about 100 stocks + indices.

Cyber informed me that it’s the charts, which eat the broadband.

A few months ago I had terrible packet loss from ADSL but none from cable.
    ADSL supplier blamed other firm at one of the hops.

I think it’s your ISP provider trying to wriggle out of their obligations. Passing the buck is easy.

I’ve used cyber for over a year and still think it has excellent software and backup.
    I’ve tried others.

If you have a lot of dollars at stake why not have another ADSL, one main and the other as backup. So you will have two nic cards in PC, which should take seconds to change from one setting to another.

AOL is not good for connecting to cyber.

Hope this may be of use.

Ken

#12     Sep 29, 2001
  3. sasha1

sasha1

Ken,

But how do you explain that both DSL (on my PC) and AOL (on my laptop) were having problems with packet loss at the same time?

I will definitely consider getting a back-up DSL provider.

Also, what are your general comments on Cyber? Would you recommend anyone else. I am having trouble finding others with comparable software and commission structure (I tend to rely on 2 minute window to execute about 2,000-3,000 shares on average). I know people have recommended IB, but their set-up is really basic, so whatever you pick up in commissions, you lose in your ability to interpret what is going on in the market.

Sasha

#13     Sep 29, 2001
  4. limbo

limbo

I use cyber precisely because it is a "luxury" platform and easy for me to use or else I'd be using Ib in a flash. I'm not too cool with computers and Ib may be to hard for me to work with at this point-however-I'm going to look into it because I dispise paying cybers commish. Although basically everything else is very good including support and cyberexchange ecn (I don't think) can be beat. It has saved my butt many a time.----------One suggestion I want to make to all heavy volume traders-which I am not presently--however- if I were you can bet I'd surely be negociating-hard-for a better deal. I may be completely off base here but I've worked cyber around pretty good at certain times for stuff and got it. I don't know, I think if a group of large volume cyber traders got together and demanded a better deal--a better deal might be forthcoming. It's worth a shot. I'll negociate it for 10% of first year savings only--lol

#14     Sep 29, 2001
  5. Dustin

Dustin

Funny you ask. The reason I went to AB was the flat-fee account which would save me a few thousand a month minimum at the volume I was used to doing. So even though the summer was slow I figured my volume would pick up this past month, but it really didn't. So, yesterday I called AB to let them know I'm bailing. Now I plan on opening an account with IB for NYSE trading and keeping Cyber for Nasdaq trading (Cyber nyse fees are terrible).

Overall I think AB is great if you are used to paying $15k+/mo in comm's...you will save a bundle. The software is fairly well thought out and they are updating it constantly. I guess my only complaint is that the software is java so it feels sluggish when you are used to something like Cyber.

Sasha, I'm not sure what to tell you. Do you run lots of charts? Someone else mentioned it, but charts take up the most data in cyber...more than 5 is too many imo.

#15     Sep 29, 2001
  6. MrX

MrX

Sasha,

I was using cyber all last week without any problems. Except for the ECN issues especially right before the close on Friday where they almost lost all the ECN's. As a matter of fact I can't remember one time in the last few months that I got kicked off.

I definetly agree about the commissions but the the interface definetly is a benefit for me.

Also remember that your DSL and AOL are going through the same CO maybe that's where the problem was except it does not explain all the other services still woking fine? :confused:

Limbo, did you get a 10% discount or did I mis read?

One quick question for the group, has anyone tried Tradestation for trading I was thinking about giving them a try?

#16     Sep 29, 2001
  7. Had problems staying up on Cyber starting Thursday morning, continued till close on Friday.

DSL here, usually no problems at all. Some tracing and investigation seems to have bbnplanet.net as the possible culprit.

Will be pursuing this further on Monday if not resolved.

#17     Sep 30, 2001
  8. sasha1

sasha1

Stock777

You described my exact problem. Who is your DSL provider. Mine is DirectTV (Telocity). I ran tracert and test2.cybercorp.com and both came back with packet losses. I tested it on Saturday and it came back fine. I guess the problem was with my DSL provider, since none of the IP addresses where the packet loss was occurring were Cybertrader's. I guess bbnplanet and the likes, are part of the routes that my DSL provider uses to connect me to Cyber. So, I guess I know who to yell at on Monday.

Thanks everyone for your comments. They were really helpful.

Sasha.

#18     Sep 30, 2001
  9. limbo

limbo

Mr. X--I did not get a 10% discount from cyber-presently my trade volume is somewhat small potatoes-(or is it potatos a la Dan Quayle-lol). However, I believe in the capitalitic american way--if I buy more I want a better price. And I try to enforce this precept with vigor whenever I can.------------What is your interest in tradestation if you're content with cyber?

#19     Sep 30, 2001
  10. It's really a pitty that they have/had all the software problems. The platform is excellent and I would not hesitate to use them (again) if I felt that they provided reliable software.

When using CyberX I had virtually no problems, but when I switched to CyberTrader the problems began, so it is most definitely related to cybertrader software and not their network connection in and out of their offices - or my network connection/ISP for that matter.

#20     Sep 30, 2001