Cyberpower PC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bandit77, Mar 4, 2007.

1. GTS

GTS

CrapUSA sucks. I'm sorry if that offends you but if your most constructive comment is to suggest that someone should go there then you have no business giving anyone advice relating to PCs. Seriously.

#51     Mar 13, 2007
  2. GTS you're not just combative you're an idiot. Dell, Gateway, Apple, HP and all other large computer manufacturers use proprietary motherboards because they are cheaper. They're cheaper because they are inferior.

Last time I counted there were 17 retail motherboard manufacturers. You can buy them from places besides CompUSA, like Newegg, Fry's, BestBuy, etc. Can you name 17 computer manufacturers? If you find an Intel motherboard in a Dell, please let me know.

Do you know the difference between a R.A.I.D. "0" array and a R.A.I.D. 1 array?

Can you run Leopard on a PC?

How long does it take you to find your registry?

I can boot up from a cold start and be online in under 20 seconds. Thats with the laptop I put together, my desktop can do it in less than 12. Can you? To say there is nothing special about one computer versus another is utter ignorance. A term I am sure you are quite familiar with.

#52     Mar 13, 2007
  3. GTS

GTS

No, they are cheaper because they are mass produced rather then the small quantities that the niche motherboard manufactuers produce. I have built PC's from scratch using ABIT and ASUS motherboards in the past but I dont waste my time doing so anymore because they are commodities. What do you think these other motherboard's have that Dell do not - be explicit. They are all based on the same reference designs.

Look in major data centers, do you see handmade servers with Supermicro MB's or Dell, HP, etc servers? There is a reason for that.

I have 3 400SC Dell PowerEdge servers at home. The motherboard is made by Intel. You're welcome

I was paid to code C on PC's back when NT was still version 3.1 (and WfW before that). I have 3 RAID 5 arrays at home, one using a 3Ware 7500 (ATA) and another with 3Ware 9500S (SATA 500GB x 4). I have probably forgotten more about PC's then you even know. My first computer was a TRS80 Model I with freakin 4k of RAM...you do know what CPM is right?

So don't try to show up here with your lame quiz and try to act like you are something special. Any dumbass can build a PC from scratch these days.

#53     Mar 13, 2007

4. And how is all this making you a better trader is beyond me. Also, what is the difference for trading whether you can boot up in 12 or 2 seconds?
    If you know what you are doing, you can trade off a regular P4, and if you do not, your system can be a 5K rig with all the bells and whistles and at the need of the day ... you will be in the red. A PC in this business is a tool and there is no need to buy a Ferrari when all you need is a delivery truck.

#54     Mar 13, 2007
  5. Still looking for your registry, eh? That's ok, I'll wait.

Hey, at least you're smart enough to use 3ware. I figured you for a HighPoint kind of guy. Or software based. But why go SATA 150 when you could obviously afford SCSI? You do know what that stands for don't you? Seriously though, that 9500S is a nice card.

GTS, you're being disengenuous to infer that servers and PCs, the kind that 99% of the people on this board use, are in the same league. We all know that Dell and HP use completely different parts for their servers. And they charge exhorbitant prices.

Ok, I'll be explicit. Can you go into the BIOS on a Dell mb and adjust the voltage and frequency settings for the memory and the processor? No.

I'm splitting hairs here, but your motherboard has no Intel part numbers on it. It resembles the D875PBZ, but is it REALLY made by Intel? Technically it's a Dell OEM board. You can't go out and buy one from Intel. It has to come from Dell.

My quiz isn't lame and I am special, thank you. I agree that any dumbass can build a PC, so why didn't you?

#55     Mar 13, 2007
  6. Saxon22, would you get back in your Vega and go home?

#56     Mar 13, 2007
  7. GTS

GTS

Nope, and if what you are concerned about is running a stable platform and not trying to overclock it for bragging rights then those bios adjustments are not needed. Is that really the best you can come up with to justify why your motherboard is better, custom BIOS settings?

The point I was responded to was your claim that Dell uses crappy components. The Dell motherboard comes from Intel - the fact that it isnt a retail motherboard is irrelevent - the point is that it is quality.

Dell uses the same processors, chipsets, memory and disk drives that everyone else uses. PC vendors that claim their PC's are special are just BSing. The core components that make up PC's are commodity items and at this point they are all very reliable. You havent given any evidence that the components that Dell uses are lower quality. I have given evidence to the contrary.

I have - three times (2 ABIT, 1 ASUS). I don't any longer because:
    (1) My time is more valuable now
    (2) I can buy one from Dell cheaper then buying all the parts myself and putting it together and I know it will work just as well
    (3) The gee whiz of building one from scratch isnt there for me anymore.

Maybe when you grow up you will reach the same point in your life, for now you can keep adding neon kits to your rad case and impress all your neighorhood fan-boys with your fast boot times. I've moved on.

#57     Mar 13, 2007
  8. gnome

gnome

Geez. Until now, I hadn't realized the "build your own (or other box maker) vs. Dell" controversy had the same passion as, you know, like trading... or religion.

#58     Mar 13, 2007
  9. I'm just trying to see how worked up I can get GTS. It's all in fun. He's relented though, must be his bedtime.

Hey GTS, what if you knew I was older than you? Would that change your perspective? You seem to think I'm young or something.

Gnome, I'm positive you're older than all of us put together. Did Methuselah have a Dell?

P.S. I hope you all didn't fare too badly today. I came out above water and I hope you did too. Looking forward to what tomorrow has in store. I'm actually long. Seeya.

#59     Mar 13, 2007
  10. LOL!

What a funny thread!

Thanks for the laugh, guys.

#60     Mar 13, 2007