Cybercriminals Shifting Focus to Non-Windows Systems and Mobile Platforms

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by FightTheFuture, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Jan. 20, 2011 – In a major cybercrime turning point, scammers have begun shifting their focus away from Windows-based PCs to other operating systems and platforms, including smart phones, tablet computers, and mobile platforms in general, according to the Cisco® 2010 Annual Security Report,

http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/2011/prod_012011c.html

2. Interesting. I don't think they will mess with Linux, esp. since they use it themselves.

3. dcvtss

dcvtss

they mess with linux all the time, put a linux webserver out on the net and don't patch and see how long it takes to get rooted, it won't be long...

4. so what do cyber criminals get out of this stuff?

5. Are you serious? What do you think? $$$$ That's why its the fastest growing crime in America per the FBI.

I can go online and buy stolen CC #'s right now and go to town. Don't you want Dateline or MSNBC. This is sophisticated big biz.

6. I meant to respond earlier. There is a major difference between white hackers and black ones. Linux encourages what you describe to make things better. People don't generally shit in their own backyards. They went after Windoze because they hate Gates, and a lot of people use it.

7. misty

misty

Most hackers target the windows as everyone uses them. Seems like they are learning.

8. Having been involved in E-commerce in the past I can assure you the crafty f*ckers will target any box on a network regardless what flavour of Unix its running. Even network printers are not safe from intrusion.

9. Does this include Mac?

10. Eight

Eight

Android is cool, once Google detects malware is sold via Market, the Market removes the app from your phone! Bullshit Microsoft that makes you kiss their ass and register everything will never do that for customers, they should be shoved off the back edge of the world and forgotten...

#10     Mar 22, 2011