Cutting losses is for losers

Discussion in 'Trading' started by mrmarket, Jun 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Triple A...good questions:

I have sold losers in the past...that's what broke my streak of 53 in a row. Normally I will sell them if something fundamental changes in the company or its environment. If a stock's price drops, but the company is still growing its revenues and earnings, I'll stick with it. I can read these companies like an open book, because I understand business processes. I know what makes a company successful, and I know what will make it fail.

The percentage on each holding varies...for example if I have 14 stocks in my port, I may invest up to 20% or as little as 3% in any one stock, depending on how much I like it and how much free cash I have.

You're a good guy...AAA and I enjoy reading your posts as well. These other guys though need to get a clue.

#31     Jun 21, 2003
  2. Mr. Market is proof that a bull move will give a monkey with some longs the delusion that he has conquered the markets.

I wonder if Mr. Market thinks he has the power of flight when he takes an elevator up.

#32     Jun 21, 2003
  3. $$$mrmarket$$$, ANSWER THIS.

do you exit portions of the positions at times or always all at once?

i really hope your losers aren't 1 share sizes now, just so you can rack up a high consecutive (?) win rate for totally closed positions.

#33     Jun 21, 2003
  4. here are some possibilities:

-plans on charging for something in the future (book, stock picks via web site, etc.).

-wants people to follow his advice/buy his picks, with the hope of it directly or indirectly increasing the value of his positions.

-he's just a nice guy, doing all this for fun.

mrmarket is an antagonistic (to create discussion of his spam) spammer promoting his interests. i'm surprised Baron/moderators let him get away with it here.

#34     Jun 21, 2003
  5. Not a question of statistic it's a question of framework. In Trader's framework it is absolutly killing to not cut losses whereas in investors framework yes it is true that they ideally never cut their losses (it is even one of the high recommandation of invstors like Buffet) because they have normally chosen stocks that are fundamentally sane. Of course a bad investor can be loser like a bad trader but a good investor should normally be a winner. So I'm not defending Mr Market in particular since I just didn't look at his stocks because I don't have time to look at fundamentals, I defend the investor framework which is as justifiable if not more than trader's framework. And globally on long term investors are globally the winners because they capitalise on time that's why assurance companies have stronger financials than bankers which are like short term traders or gamblers.

#35     Jun 21, 2003
  6. As for Gauss distribution or not this is exactly what the investor's framework implicitly cope with. Unlike a trader that uses super leverage and thus would be killed by averaging when market goes against him, an investor will do so and by doing so his average position will tend towards the normal law because whatever the distribution (it can be even a weird triangle) the average should tend towards the normal law : this is the effect of the so called Central Theorem Limit in probability. if you can't average, which is the case of traders framework since they risk the ruin before, then you can't benefit from this law.

It is not so astonishing that the investor framework is somehow the opposite of the trader's framework since in this jungle market one is the prey of the other and vice versa hee hee !

The bad think is to mix the both frameworks: chosing bad stocks, averaging with high leverage and never cut losses in doing so.

#36     Jun 21, 2003
  7. benysl

benysl

wonder what would happen to you if you has bought Enron or Worldcom buying it all the way down :)

thetraderprofit

06-21-03 01:03 PM
    What to do with losers
    The thing to do with losers is to have enough capital that whatever position you have, it doesn't really bother you.

Then, start adding to your position until the stock goes your way.

It's called "averaging down" when the stock goes to zero.

#37     Jun 21, 2003
  8. An investor wouldn't chose Enron or Worldcom except the fake ones from Big Brokers that just stealthed their clients. Even if he had done so by bad luck he would never put enough money on a position to risk his portfolio seriously.

#38     Jun 21, 2003
  9. Let me answer your hypotheticals:

If my stock picks were so bad, it would be unlikely that there would be anyone willing to pay for them. So are you saying my picks are good?

Again...why would the herd follow my picks if I were not successful in finding good stock picks.

I am a nice guy and this has been fun. I also am trying to learn from like minded investors. I've found many in my Yahoo Group, very few over here.

#39     Jun 21, 2003

10. Harry...this is a brilliant and cogent analysis. You have stated so eloquently what I have introduced to this forum.

Thanks!

#40     Jun 21, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.