Cut out the upgrade & down grade!!

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Moohead, Sep 15, 2003.

1. lindq

lindq

Are you kidding? They create a great number of my trades. Can't imagine a market without movement.

#11     Sep 15, 2003
  2. dilman57

dilman57

Some of you must live in caves. Who should determine which group is not allowed to have an opinion.

The analyst offers his opinion, people react or not.
    Having been in this business for 15 years I get tired of the retail looser that wants all the inside info he can get until it doesn't go his way. Then it's boo-hoo I lost money some big guy must have screwed me.

Does it happen? Yes. Is it most of the time? No.
    I don't think too many of us on this board have to worry that our orders,weather using analyst info or whatever, are going to influence the direction of the market.

If you don't like what you hear,we shouldn't allow people to say it? Please.

#12     Sep 15, 2003

3. hey bro... so you think there should be no regulation... and if you and I have dinner with an analyst, CFO or CEO he/she can tell us anything they want, we can buy stock/options and benefit. OR an analyst should be able to pass on this information provided it's to the persons who "pay for it"?!

K!

Well, maybe we ought to have no criminal laws and certainly in your world revoke the Consitution... not to mention fundamental/universal principles of honor and ethics and right/wrong... or do they have no place in our capitalistic pig society?

OR is it just Wall Street non-RETAIL that is exempt? Your comments are sad!

But, regards... and keep scooping that non-retail money in.. maybe you'll take it with you.

ICe
    :cool:

#13     Sep 15, 2003
  4. Here's a thought, instead of whining about the analyst upgrade and downgrades, why not look for the notable cues in the tape. Often times, the tape action will give clear a clear indication of what news is to come. The information is there, you just have to look for it! Once you find it, you can then profit from it!

Even if you can't read the tape and recognize the price action, there is still a tremendous opportunity to make money. The fact of the matter is these events create opportunities for us traders to make money. The more opportunities created, the greater the paycheck we take home. It is all just a matter of perspective.

Mike

#14     Sep 15, 2003
  5. blb078

blb078

i don't care what the analyst say, i don't ever pay attention to them, but the fact is they will say things about a stock to get it to move in a the direction they want for a short period of time of to make themselves look good. take mmm for example a few weeks ago, absolutely nothing wrong w/this stock, but an analyst downgrades, for no reason, excpet that it hits his price target, if he doesn't downgrade it and it keeps going past his target(which it would have) then he does't look that good. the purpose of an analyst is to make an honest, evaluated decsion about a companies fundatmentals, not to make a couple k and bring home a big bonus check. analyst are a joke.

#15     Sep 15, 2003
  6. If you learn to think like an anal-ist and follow a particular stock or industry closely, predicting when a slew of upgrades / downgrades are in the works is not too difficult. Fact is, anal-ists are just schmoes like everyone else and they all try to climb aboard the trend like the rest of us. The best bet is to put yourself in the shoes of the anal-ists and then front-run them. But then that is too much work for the average day-trader ...:eek:

#16     Sep 15, 2003
  7. Since upgrades and downgrades are nothing but opinion ,they shouldnt carry much weight, if any at all in your investment decisions.If you are using these as trading criteria, I would think your results are sub par.Do your own homework and research and use that grey matter between your ears .Your results should show a marked improvement.

#17     Sep 15, 2003

8. Can you say...Swiss Bank Account.

No names, no faces...just passwords. I know I guy who
    used to do it. He had inside info on buyout candidates, so he'd
    call his Swiss banker, and tell them what to buy for his account.

He got busted though, the banker coat-tailed him. And, since
    the banker did have a name and face, when they pressured him,
    he sang like a bird.

#18     Sep 15, 2003
  9. We all know the game, we all know the rules of that game and how it is played. (forget the SEC or exchange rules etc. that's not what I'm talking about). We all particiapte in that game of our own free will. No-one is telling us we have to.

I'm not saying that chinese walls work either - they usually don't, but what difference does it make.

This is what trading is all about. Some you win, others you lose. I doubt we'd hear anyone complaining that they bought xyz and then 10 mins later some big house upgraded it, and they took 10% out and then shorted it and, Lo and Behold, some other house downgraded the same stock and in 3 days they took another 10% out of it.

That's the way it goes.

Sure there is a mismatch between the little players and the big players (not surprising since more money buys more services etc.) so what's new there? But every little player could become a big player too. That is also the nature of the game.

Like I said, we all have a choice - whether to play or not. If the game isn't to anyone's liking then perhaps they should exercise the right to not play, otherwise Caveat Emptor applies...

But sometimes it is nice to just have a bitch about something and get it out of the system... :D

Kind regards

Natalie

#19     Sep 16, 2003
  10. Moohead

Moohead

Dear Mr. Attorney:

Rather than suing Big Mac for being too fat what about suing these analyst and brokerages for spreading rumors/opinions etc for causing damage to my portfolio:)

Regular six pac Joe can not move market when expressing rumors or opinions, but these analyst moved market with their mouth piece, for instance, today some guy down graded Coke, and as the result it has caused damage to my portfolio:(

Dear Mr. Attoreney, there you have it, billions and billions of damage:D

Yours truly...............

#20     Sep 16, 2003