Cut Loss in Half Using Wider Stops

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by oldtime, Sep 24, 2011.

1. not that bad advice. stop loss dont protect u as well as u think it does. if u backtest system with or without stop ull give up profits. sure you might avoid black swans. but one day ull come across a black swan where even a stop dont help you. in that case all that helps is having a maximum of 100% leverage, so you dont get margin calls.

#11     Sep 29, 2011
  2. FWIW, I quit those daggone trailing stops, really messed me up. Back to the way I was doing it. Put it in and don't move it.

otherwise, if my stops were targets I'd be the scalping champion of the world. and don't tell me they're too tight, they're plenty wide.

everything is going just fine as long as I don't take profits too soon

the problem with trailing stops is you are always keyed in to some major high or low and once you get outside of breathing room, the trailing stop puts you right back in it

#12     Sep 29, 2011

3. Could not agree more. Trading without leverage is a joy. Easy to load large position, whatever you can afford and relatively easy to accumulate profits - stress wise.

It is stressfull to increase account size 10% using stops. It is just fine when you do it without leverage. Although does not sound exciting, speed of increase can be great if you can spot turns.

and last but not least, i fugured out to get short one can do it wia currency, say buy usd. So no chance of ripping you apart.

#13     Sep 29, 2011
  4. Eddiefl

Eddiefl

+1, very well said.

You/we need those large winners. Bottom line, simple as that. One large winner, cleans out a basket of loosers, second large winner, you keep that as a profit for the month etc....

Just my two cents,,,,my three cents actually,, haha

EF

#14     Sep 29, 2011