curve flattening

Discussion in 'Financial Futures' started by dumb_mother, May 5, 2011.

what is the deal with the curve flattening

1. pimco's position being liquidated by the people that bought it a few tics lower

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. curve is on it's way to being inverted, a long road but we are on the way

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. don't fight the fed

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. i'm making a big deal out of nothing, what a dumb mother

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. sle

sle

This is incorrect, you are misleading a lot of people.

#21     Jun 10, 2011
  2. bone

bone

I got filled on the balance of my resting bids today to cover a short Dec 11 vs. Dec 12 Eurodollar position I have been nursing along for several weeks.

Some of my clients bought Shatz vs. Sept. 13 Euribor last week but I was not as clever.

#22     Jun 23, 2011
  3. bone

bone

I have some clients buying the NoB - looks a bit overcooked to me at this point but they do not seem reluctant to keep pressing. Would be about the third time this week where clients took winning trades that I just preferred to stare at.

#23     Jun 24, 2011
  4. sle

sle

Couple simple fin de monde plays in the short end of the yield curve:

(1) I am long March12 through June12 Fed Fund futures (500-1000-1000-500 contracts) against being short 5k of Mar12 Eurodollar futures (a futures-based proxy to FRA/OIS). It has done some already, but if Greece continues to be in the spotlight, it will go more.

(2) Another one is a long 5y bundle against short 2y bundle, duration neutral (100 against 250) plus a 5s against 2s spread duration neutral (long 1300 2s against short 1000 5s). This is a futures-based proxy for 2s/5s spread of swap spreads - it is historically rich (5y spread is too high vs the 2y spread is at 6, like 90th percentile of recent history) and in a crisis it will go negative (-12 in May 2010 and -45 in October 2008).

If you believe that Greece might blow these are fairly simple protective plays.

#24     Jun 24, 2011
  5. bone

bone

SLE, do you have an Eonia data feed ?

#25     Jun 24, 2011
  6. sle

sle

Well, I have a Bloomberg terminal - what exactly do you need?

#26     Jun 24, 2011
  7. bone

bone

Do you have direct access to EuroMTS ?

Please say yes.

#27     Jun 24, 2011
  8. sle

sle

Yes, I do. I presume you somehow care about their indices?

I only say things like this to high convexity blondes...

#28     Jun 24, 2011
  9. bone

bone

No, I get the cash market quotes five ways from Sunday. I can clear New Edge and MF BUT because I am a bloody Yank the pricks will not let me actually physically for reals playa trade the cash - capitalization is NOT an issue, I can cash-and-carry positive basis into delivery for size.

I can look into the window, but I cannot touch.

#29     Jun 24, 2011
  10. You can't have access to MTS proper unless you're a dealer, as far as I know. You can use BondVision, which is their client front-end.

#30     Jun 25, 2011