Currently Profitable Traders

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ArbProfit, May 2, 2004.

1. LOL ! more like $10,000 per minute for mr.gates.

surfer

#31     May 3, 2004
  2. Dustin

Dustin

I talked to him on PM, he didn't try to sell me anything.

#32     May 3, 2004
  3. I'm a little skeptical of your motives (as are others here) seeing as you don't seem willing to reveal your trading style in detail.

However I agree that in trading environments there is a lot of co-operation, not with everybody, some traders are islands.

Those that do share, do so rationally. It's all about reciprocation. I found this out quickly. People give ideas in the expectation that it will come back to them. Those that don't share get cut out of the loop, which depending on your personality, etc. may be fine.

Finally, I will share this: After several years of reading "The Technical Analysis of Stocks & commodities Magazine" "Futures", Active Trader" "Financial Analyst's Journal" and countless trading how to books and seminars etc. I find that it really comes down to 2 things:

1) stocks that move in one direction tend to continue to do so given a catalyst(s)

2) stocks mean-revert after a certain period of time (pairs trading and merger arb are examples)

If you look at all the strategies mentioned anywhere, they fall into these categories. Bollinger bands, Support Resistance, Range Break-outs, "Follow-the-leader", Dead-Cat Bounce etc.. etc..(there are hundreds of variations on this). So, you need to back test the core concepts some common sense catalysts. That's it!

BTW - I will tell the tale of a fellow newbie trader who used to say " if only I could find a way to make $150 a day, that's not much to ask" - I'll address that one at another time.

#33     May 3, 2004
  4. May as well do this here.

I replied to the newbie: okay - so you must become consistent, then scale up your trading size incrementally. Start with 100 share trades, with many trades per day and when you are in the green say 3 out of 5 days, go to 200 shares, then 300 etc...

The curve flattens out as a function of trade size i.e. you can't replicate your performance that you accomplished with 100 share trades by doing 5000 share trades. But that's just fine. In fact that's our advantage against the $50 million hedge funds. We can top out at 1000 to 2000 share trade sizes and make a good living.

The point is this. Getting consistent with small trade size is the goal, not "making $X per day"

He could not fathom the logic however.

#34     May 3, 2004
  5. Who did you reply to? It certainly wasn't me.

I am not selling anything.

#35     May 4, 2004
  6. Sorry about that last post, I misunderstood the connection between your two posts. I agree with your last comment though, it's amazing how many unprofitable traders size up. Why would anybody want to increase their losses?

#36     May 4, 2004
  7. AC3

AC3

Amazing how many people are willing to show you the quickest way 2 a buried treasure because they're such nice guys only looking to take a nominal fee for the pleasure of seeing you make big $$.... Great country isnt it ...............

#37     May 4, 2004
  8. My apologies - there are others here trying to direct people to their websites with bogus claims.

I had no reason to think you were one, my mess up.

#38     May 4, 2004
  9. There is not one day trader thats going to say that they are making money , i mean any money trading stocks , not to mention 10,000 a month ... and on consistent basis. No Way!

You guys still asking questions about who is making money trading stocks should consider changing markets.

Stop wasing your time with stocks that don't move and familiarize yourselves with the currency markets.

There is money to be made in currencies , and I mean reall money

Check out the info www.globalfxllc.com

#39     May 4, 2004
  10. I don't disagree, but I do find self promotion disagreeable.

#40     May 5, 2004