current prop strategies and prop vs retail

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by the_axe, Aug 18, 2019.

1. the_axe

the_axe

Could anyone please comment on current prop trading strategies, especially considering scalping probably doesn't work as well now with faster algos? I've traded on both sides, retail and prop but in different times w/different rules, etc. I am thinking of getting back in the active game but not sure its worth it, in my active accounts now I make trades that last from a day to about 30 days. I can add more if asked. Thanks.

ElectricSavant likes this.
  2. qlai

qlai

Maybe you can comment on strategies which worked back then? Why would anyone tell you the strategies which are working at the moment?

TradingPilot likes this.
  3. the_axe

the_axe

Why would anyone tell you the strategies which are working at the moment? I don’t expect a detailed white paper, just a simple overview. Perhaps this isn’t a serious place to have an open discussion.

As for what worked back then ? More or less high volume scalping, which is what the machines do now.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  4. VIPmarket

VIPmarket

prop trading is day-trading. you make more money with less 'work' just swing trading and for prop trading 'investors' you make more money investing as return is too small for the prop trading firm. we are capitalist. money will go where it gets the highest return on capital. daytrading as a business is low return or low profit business. which means not worthy of 'investment' you are not 'worthy' of my capital. peons market. the amount of 'profit' these guys make more money flipping burgers at mcdonalds at least that is more 'productive and increases national GDP.. daytrading creates no GDP. same as a guy playing slot machines, that is not GDP creation. a losing gambler trader createss no GDP. or produces anything.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  5. the_axe

the_axe

Id argue a losing gambler helps $LVS stay in biz , this in a small way adding to the National GDP

Chuck Krug likes this.
  6. qlai

qlai

I think I misunderstood your original question. You are just trying to find a prop that best fits your trading style, not asking for their strategies.
    I haven't seen anyone openly sharing first hand prop experience here in a while.

7. the_axe

the_axe

Trying to understand on a high level what prop traders are doing these days, a little more detail than buy low sell high. There is much more on reddit on this topic.