Current outlook on IBD

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ganesh6, Mar 10, 2008.

1. No history as to when a stock was added to the IBD 100. There is a pretty good reason for this, check out the Canslim fund, a total failure.

Like others, I tried to backtest the 100. Would take a ton of work to figure out the dates (additions and deletions). It would be so simple for IBD to put a column "Date added" to the IBD100. They don't do this for a reason.

IBD will slowely disappear off the market as more people catch on. I have already noticed that in several major airports, they no longer carry IBD.

#11     Mar 11, 2008
  2. I'd like to see some more research on IBD's top 100. I've been backtesting the top 100 (a ton of work!), and have been having good results. Up 279bps in two weeks.

#12     Apr 29, 2008
  3. I'll add that I left the the Canslim Select, another IBD 100, and Top movers positions in place for two weeks, and ALL accounts are down. That's without adding the commissions. I'll add them in, and see where all three paper accounts are in % down. Yes, I know, we're basically trading in a flat market, so I wasn't expecting a 10% overall return. LOL! Just a 1.5% would have been good.

Soooo, without constantly moving positions in and out of your portfolio, I'm not seeing a winning strategy in IBD. Moving all these positions in and out is also errosive to a portfolio over time in ticket charges.

What do the rest of you who KNOW IBD think?

#13     Apr 29, 2008
  4. IBD lists only work if you buy large cap companies with great growth prospects and market dominance.

75% of stocks on the IBD lists don't meet these criteria and have a tendency of imploding and never recovering like DRYS and BIDZ.

#14     Apr 29, 2008
  5. Last 2 weeks IBD:

IBD 100 WITH active alert CONSTANTLY buying, selling having to figure out how many shares of each to sell, how many to buy, and visa versa. A pain. But up 178 bps. Not the 278 bps I thought it was. Up 1.78%, and a pain in the ass...

IBD 100 without moving anything for two weeks. Actually up. A whopping .06%

IBD Canslim Select same two week hold, down .26%.

IBD movers same two week hold, up .86%

#15     Apr 29, 2008
  6. BIDZ declined 50% from it's Nov 23 high. IBD still has a B rating on it.:confused:

DRYS bottomed at 55.93 March the 17th. With a Beta of over 2.5, it has, and will be volatile. DRYS broke out, and it's been up all the way to the top, April 28 at 86.54 It's been down since, and is at 82.12 down 4.42% today. Yes, IBD still has an A rating on it.:confused:

I thought they screened equities daily???:confused:

#16     Apr 29, 2008