Currency Futures Options

Discussion in 'Options' started by cloned777777, Aug 30, 2005.

1. plus loss from the premium for the bought put...

but better than stop loss slippage..

( the idea of buying call is a good one also )...
    but i am doing totaly something else here

#21     Aug 30, 2005
  2. I never bought a call...when did i say i bought a call ?

i bought a put to protect my long position..

correct me if i am wrong.

thats why i am here..

#22     Aug 30, 2005
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

You don't understand. You are long a synthetic call. I'm not telling you to buy a call, I'm tell you that is what your position is. You are long a call that is now worthless. There is nothing to hedge!

#23     Aug 30, 2005
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

Long Put + Long Underlying = Long Call

#24     Aug 30, 2005
  5. palawan

palawan

the confusion that i have is that you said that you're already long and profitable at 1.2200. then you wish to protect it by buying a put at 1.2200 but you're concerned that the options available are European and cannot be exercised at any time except at expiration. no problem.

put = short the underlying + call

what you really want is to have a risk free way of cashing out your profit but still make more money if there's more upside to go.

so, you want to short the underlying and buy a call (put) or in this case, sell your position and buy a call.

maybe i got this wrong, as i'm mostly a directional player, so someone can correct me...

Peace.

#25     Aug 30, 2005
  6. i know...what i am doing is more complex than that tho.

let me do my homework tho.
    let me re think.
    thanx

#26     Aug 30, 2005
  7. Maverick74

Maverick74

No palawan, the problem is he does not have a profit at all. He has a worthless position. He can sell the put if he wants but now all he has done is taken a long underlying position. He now has substantial downside risk. He hasn't hedged anything. What he needs to do first is learn his synthetics. Then he should come back and trade.

#27     Aug 30, 2005
  8. i am doing a demo any wayz.

thank you all for the help however :)
    I will do my homework

#28     Aug 30, 2005
  9. palawan

palawan

Ok, cool. i thought he said he was already long (and i assumed profitable position) but that he didn't believe in stop-loss order. i guess there's the flip-side where he's long (and negative on the position) but wanted to protect from a "crash" by using a put.

i still say close the position (at a loss) and buy a call :) simpler strategy of being protected from a "crash" in the underlying but still able to profit on the upside

but that's just my directional bias talking there.... :D

Peace.

#29     Aug 30, 2005
  10. I agree.

its just that i have a long position that has not made profit yet...
    just got into the position.

but then i have to hedge.

You are right, might as well go long on a call.

does the same thing.

I knew it, but i need to apply that to my stretgy that i have not mentioned as yet.

going long / buy put or buy call..

they are fighting in my head for my strategy

#30     Aug 30, 2005