Currency futures after hours volume

Discussion in 'Financial Futures' started by Teresa1, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Teresa1

Teresa1

Hi everybody,

I have a forex account but am thinking of switching to futures due to the built-in conflict of interest with most forex brokers.

But I would like to trade the news, and many of the releases come out in the after-hours of the CME. So I wonder about volume and fills. I'm talking about the majors, CHF, JPY, EUR, GBP. Is this going to be a problem?

(Sometimes I might also want to trade AUD, NZD, and CAD. What about those? Stick to forex?)

I see so MUCH information all over the internet about forex, but so little about currency futures. Guess that's because there are so many bucket shops out there self-promoting, whereas the CME doesn't have to do that.

Your feedback is very valuable to me, since I know little about futures. Thanks!

2. I trade currency futures after hours and the spread remains tight (1-2 ticks) for all of the currencies you listed (NZD is sometimes wider). I have had some trouble with CME currency futures on Sunday nights but they were more related to technical issues at the exchange than market conditions. Other than that I have not had any problems entering and exiting positions on currency futures after hours. Good luck.

3. Teresa1

Teresa1

Thank you very much, Brocklanders!

What size lots do you trade?

Have you (or has anyone here) tried trading the news using an autoclicker service (fills in miliseconds)?

4. i had slippage of 36 ticks on the j7 this morning (i'm in europe)
    anyone know of a better way to trade yen/usd preferably mini futures?
    (as you can probably tell i don't trade much currency)

5. Teresa1

Teresa1

Hi Chuck,

Not sure what time you were trading, but the US FOMC announced the minutes of its last meeting at 2 p.m. Eastern Time, and it definitely moved the yen up quickly for 5 or 10 minutes.

Did you use a market order?

6. hi teresa,

it was 9 am CET
    so that's 3 am eastern
    and it was a stop order

7. J7 and E7 - the Yen and EuroFX mini futures - are way too illiquid for trading. Use 6E and 6J instead. If the normal contracts are too big for you, you have to trade spot through Oanda or something.