Currency Carry : How do Banks do it??

Discussion in 'Forex' started by Remiraz, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Remiraz

Remiraz

I read about institution Carry trades all the time. Buy a currency with higher interest, sell one with lower interest. Eg. Long GBP/USD.

How do they hedge their position?? The position might drop couple hundred pips, making the profit from interest useless. Since interest is already reflected in the futures/options...how else can they hedge? :confused:

Arbitrage i understand....its risk free. Quant funds i understand...taking on some risk to trade a statistically valid strategy (some dun work out though, like LTCM). Carry is a mystery to me, and almost no info out there on the net. :(

2. futures? derivatives? otc options?

3. gkishot

gkishot

How do you think they might hedge their positions?

4. Lucrum

Lucrum

5. Remiraz

Remiraz

he doesn't seem to be very good other than using a lot of messy terms. :p

6. gkishot

gkishot

If you buy GBP/USD & sell EUR/USD you have yourself a hedged portfolio.

7. Would you not be at risk to movements in Eur/GBP as what you have done is created a long position in sterling and a short position in the Euro.

8. Remiraz

Remiraz

lol i used to think the same for EUR/USD & USD/CHF too. Currencies are rather unique in that hedging with correlated pairs don't do squat. :(

Long EUR/USD and Long USD/CHF = Long EUR/CHF. -_-'''

9. gkishot

gkishot

Ok then throw in AUD/JPY to the mix. The more uncorrelated pairs you have the better hedged is your portfolio. Diversification is a good hedging tool. I would like to see some kind of index equivalent to S&P 500 in forex.

10. MR.NBBO

MR.NBBO

There is, the G-8 currency index.

#10     Jul 31, 2005