CUIL to impact GOOGLE ?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by libertad, Jul 28, 2008.

1. kinar

kinar

as for the asians....as I mentioned, they are (were?) having some issues with thier safe search filter earlier...

I've been using it all day and can honestly say that it is getting better and better by the hour....

Heck, they've even replaced the bad search results (which they explained in the interview posted above) with an error message which is certainly better.

I know I'm a bit wierd but I generally enjoy seeing a product develop (especially when it develops as fast as this one). I was one of the first googles using it when it launched and have tried every other search since (heck, I was even a closed tester for the recenly acquired powerset). It took Google 5 years to get to the point where this one is at in a single day. I say Kodos to them for that. If you don't want to "waste your time" with a product that isn't 100% fully featured and has zero bugs, then good luck using a computer happily.

These issues people are reporting are all very minor and easily fixable issues. On the other hand, fixing google at this point is near impossible (if anyone actually thinks google is good at search now, you should have seen them when they were in thier prime). Search is old news for google. They have retired and moved onto "fun" projects. It is nice to finally see a company willing to come in and pick up the slack.

This is really the first innovative search engine launched since vivisimo (which was very cool but not necesarily all that good).

#41     Jul 28, 2008
  2. dhpar

dhpar

ok. i gave it a one more try today and what a change!
    now it often gets better and more relevant results than google.
    i guess i will watch it for few more days - we may get some surprises here...

#42     Jul 29, 2008
  3. Cuil is garbage. Why is it getting any media attention at all?

the reason why I like google is the relevancy of the search results. It's leaps and bounds ahead of yahoo or msn. Cuil results were just weird.

The only downfall with Google is that it should index deeper into the messages boards and forums. For example, Google probably indexed 50% of the posts here at ET. Why not 100% for every forum?

#43     Jul 29, 2008