Cuba - where to go and where to stay

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by fearless9, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Are you being serious?

Have you been to Cuba? It's one of the safest places I've ever been in my life.

Tourists getting to see the best part of Cuba is ridiculous. That's like saying that Cuban culture isn't what makes the country so fascinating. Why not just go to Turks and Caicos then? That's a pathetically lame statement and since Cubans aren't even allowed in most of the resort areas you'd be supporting government induced racism.

Avoiding non-tourist areas is like saying that it's a good idea to avoid Cubans entirely since many of the most tourist-oriented areas are off limits to Cubans.

The best part of Cuba is what the Cubans are and what they are doing and what they think about their situations. Really nice people. You will find Cubans will be overfriendly and then ask you over for their house for dinner(for a fee) or ask you for something which is usually their way of trying to get money out of you. This can become disheartening, but they can't help it...they don't really have many choices to make money and try and have something a bit better.

I'd say to stay at Casas Particulares which are private homes that you stay at. The government obviously gets a cut and the house owners log you in when you get there, but they're a great way to meet some locals and get a taste of Cuban life.

And by the way...most of Cuba is run down. The whole string of buildings facing onto the Malecon was repainted for the Pope's visit and was back in shambles within a few years due to poor painting quality. The shambles of Havana Viejo are what make it so special.

#11     Jun 13, 2007
  2. Jeez dont get your panties in a bunch there cupcake. Before going off like that why dont you ask me what I was referring to.

The point was the main parts of the city, as well as the historic parts, have been somewhat taken care of while parts off the beaten path have been neglected and run down. Tourist parts does not just mean beaches but the parts of Old Havana as well as the newer Arts centers. This is not my opinion but a simple fact repeated by many who visit there. It is sad that so many buildings built in the 50s are neglected or turned into housing. It is still a beautiful city.

I never said just stay in the hotel on the beach where there are only other Europeans.
    How about we stick to discussions and leave the hyperbole to chit chat where it belongs

#12     Jun 13, 2007
  3. ElCubano

ElCubano

i went with a client and his entourage in 1999 from key west to the marina hemingway by boat ( i was riding fat holmes )...stayed at the melia cohiba and was almost not allowed unto the upper floors...cuz of course i am cuban..little did they know i had me passaport and the ladies apologized profusely...it was sad to say the least that a cuban was telling another cuban that they couldnt enjoy the finer things on the island....i came when i was 8 so i hadant seen the island for quite some time...but it was still as beautiful as the day me papi put me on the boat...:D

#13     Jun 13, 2007
  4. That is the downside to tourism in Cuba, it has become segregated, kind of like parts of Dominican Republic where they have enclsoed resorts.

But it is the same in a sense as back in the day. My Dad tells me stories of how they would go to the public beach area and try to go into the more exclusive areas where the wealthy Cubans and U.S. tourists would go and they would be rushed out of there.

Same wherever you go I guess..

#14     Jun 13, 2007
  5. So you're spewing a bunch of nonsense and telling me not to correct what you're stating even though it's mere conjecture on your part? Seriously, that's ridiculous.

And because an area is run down makes it uninteresting? Almost all of Cuba is run down and Havana Viejo has actually been saved by remaining run down.

Don't get so defensive...you were wrong and all you have to do is apologize...but to lash back as if the one pointing out that you have no business telling people how to enjoy their trip in Cuba(without actually having been there) and just sound like an idiot for then going on a rant trying to justify yourself. Just breathe nice and easy. :D

Except for not really. :confused:

#15     Jun 13, 2007
  6. Please be a child elsewhere. Members of my family have visited on my side as well as on my wife's side (who is not American). I never said anything you are attributing to me so please ignore me from now on as your comments to me are off topic. What I said is from experience. I have not said anything negative or untrue about Cuba.

Moreover, what I said at the end is true in so many of the poor Latin American countries, the tourist areas are segregated only for the foreign tourist and the rare few locals who can afford it. Cuba and Dominican Republic are perfect examples, even many of the islands.

Just put me on ignore if you cannot respond like an adult.

#16     Jun 13, 2007
  7. ElCubano

ElCubano

SiSePuede...eres tremendo come-pinga...your posts are very condescending...just hit the ignore button....:D

#17     Jun 13, 2007
  8. tr51

tr51

Personally I prefer the "Parque Central" in Old Havanna. It's well located so you can walk to see the sights and restaurants. The Hotel Nacional is beautiful in a historic way but you will need to taxi everywhere. There are NO restrictions on where you go as a tourist .......unless you're American and then OFAC will tell what you can do and where you can go.

Cuba is very safe and the people are just great. Unfortunately you will see that most are poor and just a bit on the hungry side per our standards....However, you will not see any of the misery you see in any other Latin American country.

Enjoy....once it opens and the hoards of Disney style American tourists arrive....it will be over.

#18     Jun 13, 2007
  9. ElCubano

ElCubano

I cant wait... on another note..i have about 300k in cuban bonds ...they stopped paying their coupons in 1961 and matured in 1977 and some in 1980...do you think they will ever get cashed???

edit. principal and interest payable by borough of manhattan; the city of new york, state of new york ..it says this on the face of the bond

#19     Jun 13, 2007
  10. My Dad joked he wished he kept the deed to their house so they can go back and reclaim it lol...

My Dad lived in Marianao before gently relocating..

#20     Jun 13, 2007