Cuba and the United States

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SouthAmerica, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Lebanon is doing very well and democracy is blooming like a flower and everything is going according to plan in Lebanon.

not sure what plan you're referring to. True, there's a democracy there and some of the Lebanese citizens aren't too happy about Hezbollah's actions. Others are happy. Hezbollah has what, 20% of the seats (something like that anyway, not sure about the real number). Iran and Syria apparently have a big influence on Hezbollah.

In Iraq democracy is working wonders for their people – they finally got peace, everybody is happy and Iraq has become a symbol of another American success story.

Iraq is hardly an example of an American success story

The CIA had nothing to do with the killing of Allende in Chile in the early 1970’s – that is a lie that people put on the history books. And the US was not behind General Pinochet and that is another lie that people invented to discredit the USA.

The CIA was complicit in Allende's killing and installed Pinochet, didn't they?? That's pretty much common knowledge now.

Afghanistan – another American success story - everything it is wonderful in Afghanistan and everybody will live happy and forever.

Actually, the Taliban are re-asserting themselves in Afghanistan. We in Canada are particularly aware of this because it's our kids who are dying now. So this is not exactly true.

I hope you are happy with this posting and it makes you few[sic ] good about yourself.

Your posts make me feel neither good nor bad about myself.

My comments to you were based on your contention that Cubans would long for the Castro days after he is gone. This is utter nonsense. Cuba will most likely be pulled towards a more capitalist/free market and maybe even democratic society in the coming decades, and this will improve the average Cuban's life. It is a given that democracy and capitalism come with some bad stuff, but who was it that said 'democracy is a terrible system; the problem is, all the others are worse'....

It's pretty shoddy journalism to try to insinuate that there are significant parallels between what has happened in the countries you mentioned and what might happen in Cuba. I have a feeling that the majority of middle aged and young Cubans might actually want a chance to have some nice things and make some money and travel the world and see other places and ensure that their kids can do the same.

I have a lot of friends who travel to Cuba, since Canadians can go there freely, and no one tells me about how they're burning American flags in the streets every night. On the other hand they love their country - they just want to have some opportunities. They envy us the opportunities we have in this country.

That is all.

#11     Aug 6, 2006
  2. nitro

nitro

Pabst,

You forgot to tell him to eat a cock sandwich.

nitro

#12     Aug 6, 2006
  3. .

August 6, 2006

SouthAmerica: Reply to Tradernik

I was just being "sarcastic" with you, since I was not sure which part of my posting you refer to as the: “false claims in the original post.”

In my opinion, if the radicals in the United States leave Cuba alone – Cuba will be fine in the long run, since Castro is not going to live forever.

After Castro is dead Cuba will enter a period of transition, and eventually Cuba will become a place that will offer great opportunities for investments.

Americans should give them time and room for a peaceful transition to occur – and Cuba will be a win, win situation for everyone.

#13     Aug 6, 2006
  4. TGregg

TGregg

Don't seem to be a lot of rafts heading from the USA to Cuba.

http://www.ejectejecteject.com/archives/000132.html

#14     Aug 7, 2006
  5. .

TGrqq: Don't seem to be a lot of rafts heading from the USA to Cuba.

August 7, 2006

SouthAmerica: The Cuban economy has been choking for 50 years under the US economic embargo against the Castro regime and so on…

I am surprised that Castro has been able to survive under such conditions for so long. If you see any current news from Cuba on television, or any documentary then you can see that the cars that they have on that Island – the newest models are from the 1950’s – After Castro dies Cuba will become a paradise for people collecting old cars.

You guys like to paint a picture of Cuba a lot worse than the reality. I know that there are a lot of poor people trying to get out of Cuba to come to the United States and they are willing to take a chance in small boats and rafts. But that does not prove anything. Other than poor people are desperate enough to take a chance to get to the United States.

But the same line of reasoning applies to most country of Central America – every day there are thousands of people doing all kinds of dangerous stuff to get into the US, and they come from various countries in Central America and they come by the millions from Mexico – and they take a chance to cross a long border with the US and go for days walking through the desert; in 2006 alone almost 100 people died on the Mexican desert on their effort to reach the United States – all these people have one thing in common: they are running from poverty and trying to start a new way of life and hopefully a better future.

And all these poor people, legal and illegal, from many countries in the Americas and the world are coming to the United States in response to an outstanding US marketing campaign to bring them here. And in that regard the US is doing a job really well done.

#15     Aug 7, 2006
  6. My sentiment exactly.

Ricardo South America - your Defense of Castro is lame, weak, and wrong. And yet, though you deny it in this post, you still try and defend the undefensible (Castro regime). Your knowledge of history is worse . . . Throughout this post, and all of your posts actually, you shamelessly deny historical facts and exaggerate falsehoods, in short, with the exception of a few of your points now and then, you are full of crap. Your posts are reminiscent of communist Chinese and N. Korean bull shit propaganda, which makes you a useless idiot.

You should look forward towards the end of 2006 to the thread I plan to post which will highlight a collection of the crap you posted over the year. This will include your market predictions, all the horrible things that you have said will happen to the US (none have materialized so far, imagine that!!), how Brazil and China will rule the world, etc. Anyways I'm sure you will enjoy the attention, albeit the attention a mentally retarded person would get throwing a tantrum in a public place.

#16     Aug 7, 2006
  7. Its just a coincidence that for the last 50 years Cubans have been fleeing Cuba, "it doesn't prove anything" Merely a socioeconomic artifact, completely independent of the Castro regime, right?

#17     Aug 7, 2006
  8. Having been to Cuba I can say that many Cubans that I spoke with suffer from the "grass is greener" syndrome with respect to the United States and other western nations.

Although there are not rafts heading from the USA to Cuba LOL, there are many Carribean's that prefer to educate themselves and live in Cuba.

After the collapse of the Soviet Union and the financial support that came with it, in addition to the unfortunate and internationally opposed (with exception of Israel) US economic embargo, life has been getting progressively tougher over the last 20 years in Cuba.

The newer generation of Cubans, much like the newer generation of Chinese, Vietnamese etc. feel far less of a sentimental or romantic connection with their countries' revolutionary or political past and iconic leaders. It is this new generation that will change Cuba after Castro's departure.

Alas, many of the good things about Cuba as perceived by foreigners will be lost as capitalism takes an ever increasing root. It is already well underway with the double economy operating thanks to the tourist industry there.

The transition to democracy etc. will happen naturally. It's just a matter of time. Despite the travel, media and Internet restrictions imposed on locals, enough information gets through and what Cubans have seen of the outside world is enough for them to decide that is what they also want. There is no need for interference from external entities; one would hope that it remains that way.

2 cents.

#18     Aug 7, 2006
  9. .

August 8, 2006

SouthAmerica: Reply to Nick Leeson Jr.

Quoting from your posting: “the attention a mentally retarded person would get throwing a tantrum in a public place.”

That’s is exactly the feeling that I have about you – regarding your latest posting. Your posting is nothing more than the reaction of a person mentally challenged throwing a tantrum on this message board.

I think it is time for your medications.

#19     Aug 8, 2006
  10. Cesko

Cesko

As I said before, Pinochet was absolutely clear about how to treat people of your sort SA.

#20     Aug 8, 2006