Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by daytrader85, Jan 17, 2007.

  1. What's the difference between the two if you would like to start one of them?

    To start a CTA there is a $750 registration fee. But for a CPO, there is only a $200 registration fee.

    Could I do the same things as a CPO that a CTA does?

  2. ktm


    A CTA manages individual accounts that belong to others. A CPO manages a single account that is a pool of money from others. You need to have the appropriate registration for what you want to do - one cannot do what the other does. Many have both registrations and run a pool as well as managed accounts.
  3. What are the steps to become CPO?
  4. ktm


    The NFA site can give the most comprehensive answer, however the short version is to pass the series 3 and register with the NFA. To actually start working as a CPO, you'll also need to form an entity and get some docs together.
  5. dabao91


    Does the "pooled" of CPO also subject to SEC regulation as well?
  6. No SEC registration needed.....The NFA and CFTC will be the regulation body.

    100% better to deal with than the NASD and Equity as I have dealt with both sides the last 5 years.

    Go the CFTC route if you can.
  7. dabao91


    WyckoffTrader, are you a CTA or CPO or both?
  8. ChrisM


    I think you are wrong.

    Check NFA membership fees here: