Cryptopia hacked!

Discussion in 'Crypto Assets' started by Chartart, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Chartart

Chartart

Another exchange hacked!
    Really shame.

2. maxinger

maxinger

Seems like blockchain technology is for low security transaction.

For high security, use the typical currency transacted through banks.
    If some crooks steal my credit card info and charge the purchase using my card, I can ask for refund from bank.

If someone steal my cypto coin from virtual bank, too bad !
    the $$$ just disappear with no trace

Further there are soo many other better things to trade than cypto coins.
    we could trade oil, gold, index futures, Natural Gas, major currencies, bonds etc etc

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    schweiz, dealmaker and RedDuke like this.
  3. schweiz

schweiz

The way crypto's are organized is perfect for all kinds of criminality:

Onra likes this.
  4. Specterx

Specterx

Anyone who keeps meaningful amounts of wealth on these fly-by-night exchanges, either in cash or digital tokens, is a fool.

Clubber Lang and schweiz like this.
  5. gaussian

gaussian

Pure ignorance. You and I have two very different definitions of "high security". I wouldn't consider a bank transaction secure at all, and banks are moving towards cryptocurrency as a result. This argument of insecurity stems from ignorance. Cryptocurrency, and the blockchain in general, are implementation dependent but generally highly secure when built well. Far more secure than anything your bank or broker does today.

If someone steals your money now there is no trace. For all you know your money at your broker is gone and you've been trading at a bucket. Banks aren't required to keep enough capital on hand to stop a bank run - what makes you feel like your money is safe? The government? HA. HAHA. HAHAHAHA. Great joke - they can't even manage their own money. Tariff man has made sure of that.

There are no "virtual cryptocurrency banks". You store your coins in a wallet. The blockchain is used for transaction verification. The weaknesses come from:

1. When you do transfer them to an exchange for management (bad idea)
    2. The algorithm underlying transaction verification is weak (look up 51% attack)

(1) Requires you to move coins from your wallet (safe and secure if it's on a hardware key) to an exchange wallet that they control (insecure because you do not control it, it's implementation, or location). Obviously this is bad and a risk you must undertake to trade coin.

When Proof of Stake becomes wide-spread the likelihood of (2) goes down significantly. The idea of a "cryptocurrency bank is wrong anyway. Cryptocurrencies will never have banks. There is no reason. Wallets are all you need, and the blockchain forms the "cash security" a bank usually supplies.

Our world will move towards cryptocurrencies. They are the future. Fiat won't be around for much longer (in the geologic timescale sense), and as a result neither will banks. Governments are rushing to figure out a way to stop the mass adoption of cryptographically secure money because they can't tax it.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    yg10 likes this.
  6. zdreg

zdreg

re:Tariff man has made sure of that

you are joking, Every president. including Trump, since FDR(Frank Delano Roosevelt)has been a big spender. it has been 80 years of debasing the dollar, the one exception was Bill Clinton who balanced the Federal budget and erased the Federal deficit.

7. Hahaha. All CIA created and all crypto will cease to exist one day once they have info on everyone's criminality.

If you bought Bitcoin years ago at $4 a coin, it would be worth nothing today because your digital storage locker would have been hijacked or defrauded by the company founder.

8. Trader Curt

Trader Curt

A lot of people don't realize how easily an exchange can be hacked if they don't have the proper security. Any exchange that doesn't at least offer 2 factor identification is going to be a huge risk to begin with.

And since we are still new with this crypto, there will still probably be a lot more hacking until it gets more organized.

9. geedy

geedy

His point actually was that there is no one to hold responsible when you loose your coins.

#10     Jan 17, 2019