Crude over $60 will not last long

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by silk, Aug 13, 2005.

1. and these price won't affect the emerging economies like china,india?

#21     Aug 14, 2005
  2. good point. there used to be this computer game back in the 80's called, M.U.L.E. by electronic arts. crude graphics, lots of character. it teaches basic concepts on supply and demand, something most analysts don't seem to understand.

#22     Aug 14, 2005
  3. bpl1000

bpl1000

demand for SUVs are down, but I still see quite a few of them on the road.

say it goes down to $50? people will just go back to purchasing their SUVs and drive those gas guzzlers to $70-$80 dollars a barrels.

It's just beginning to hurt. But I don't think it's hurting enough to change ppl's habits significantly. Unfortunately, as much as I want to see oil drop, I'm not very optimistic.

#23     Aug 14, 2005
  4. Oil $$$ unattainable...

Gasoline $4.58 per gallon,,,

now we start to hear protest?

or when?

#24     Aug 14, 2005
  5. Your thesis suggest that no new supplies of oil will be coming on stream in spite of the flood of billions of dollars invested in new E&P projects.

A different take on the subject by Pullitzer Prize winning author Daniel Yergin:

"
    BREATHING ROOM
    It's not the end of the Oil Age— yet
    Supply squeeze will ease. We should use the gift of time wisely
    By DANIEL YERGIN

WE'RE not running out of oil. Not yet.

"Shortage" is certainly in the air — and in the price. Right now, the oil market is tight, even tighter than it was on the eve of the 1973 oil crisis. In this high-risk market, "surprises" ranging from political instability to hurricanes could send oil prices spiking higher. Last week, the death of Saudi Arabia's King Fahd rattled the markets, despite the smooth and long-anticipated succession to Crown Prince Abdullah. Moreover, the specter of an energy shortage is not limited to oil. Natural gas supplies are not keeping pace with growing demand. Even supplies of coal, which generates about half of the country's electricity, are constrained at a time when our electric power system has been tested by an extraordinary heat wave.

But it is oil that gets most of the attention. Prices around $60 a barrel, driven by high demand growth, are fueling the fear of imminent shortage — that the world is going to begin running out of oil in five or 10 years. This shortage, it is argued, will be amplified by the substantial and growing demand from two giants: China and India.

Yet this fear is not borne out by the fundamentals of supply. Our new, field-by-field analysis of production capacity, led by my colleagues Peter Jackson and Robert Esser, is quite at odds with the current view and leads to a strikingly different conclusion: There will be a large, unprecedented buildup of oil supply in the next few years. Between 2004 and 2010, capacity to produce oil (not actual production) could grow by 16 million barrels a day — from 85 million barrels per day to 101 million barrels a day — a 20 percent increase. Such growth over the next few years would relieve the current pressure on supply and demand"

full:http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/editorial/outlook/3299350

DS

#25     Aug 15, 2005
  6. Crude will be over 100 dollars US within 3-5 years.

#26     Aug 15, 2005
  7. within 1.

Its funny the first down day and every trader bearish comes out of the woodwork.

#27     Aug 15, 2005
  8. I do not think China is an emerging economie. You should go for a visit there.....

#28     Aug 15, 2005
  9. well, coffee sure didn't last over a buck, so....

#29     Aug 15, 2005
  10. lol. i notice the same thing...
    but the real question is who here has a position in oil and who is just regurgitating marketwatch/cnbc/thestreet

#30     Aug 15, 2005