Crude over $40 (as closed price)

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by andrasnm, May 12, 2004.

1. Hi all,

i'm new to the emiNY natural gas and oil futures. Do you know why QG(emini natural gas futures) is not really traded tonight? Even though it's traded from 6pm to 9:30am from Mon-Thurs.

However, oddly enough,QM, the oil futures is traded.

hmm...

#21     May 24, 2004
  2. #22     May 24, 2004
  3. thanks for the link. i know it's "thin"

but it has NOT traded since 3PM.

Whereas , the very very thin QM still has a few trades going off here and there...

even now as we speak. no trades at all for QM. so much for AH trading. it's scaring me cuz I have a short on and I really like to know the prices.

I shouldn't have! I know the trend is UP! doh!!

#23     May 24, 2004
  4. OMG!!!

I put an limit buy order there overnight and went to sleep hoping it would get filled!

And lo behold it did!! And i'm up HUGE! well, huge for 1 contract that I'm testing out.

thanks to the trading gods!

#24     May 25, 2004
  5. the boldest, gutsiest or the most stupid trader, who ever take a counter trade on a huge move and piss against the hurricane.
    Listening to the news and pundits is stupid, look at the charts and look at the fundamentals. Everything else is BS.
    So let me know when and if you are short.

#25     May 25, 2004
  6. andrasnm,

well, there was a pattern I was looking for. It worked for me in stocks. I do this VERY SELECTIVELY. I shorted crude oil AND natural gas, which were both up HUGE yesterday towards the close.

I lost a bit getting stopped out a few times.

But then I shorted right before the close. And nothing seemed to be against me that much. So, I figure from Market Wizard books if the scariest thing you imagined doesn't come true then you should hold. So, I held. Then late late last night I covered my crude oil QM cuz 1) there was someone who bought it from me 2) I didn't like the action.

But I held on QG(natural gas) whose multiplier is $5000, much scarier than crude oil. Because I couldn't get out. So I just put a buy limit order hopin t woudl get filled. And it did.

No, I wouldn't do this if the overnight action was trending back up.

#26     May 25, 2004
  7. The key is "it worked for me in Stocks"
    stocks you can fade with a better success rate than futures.
    It is a matter of style but I would never fade a rally in futures particularly in a powerhouse the crude. It is only me. it is possible that we shall brake before the long week-end - the chart of crude is filled with consolidation sell offs and then we always retake the highs and move up. Gutsy move - good luck.

#27     May 25, 2004
  8. riley

riley

Great op-ed article in today's New York Times about $40 oil. All should read it.

#28     May 25, 2004
  9. C'mon ... how easy is get short crude oil, and then have a stop at 42.0

Some people seem to want to wait until the market sells off before the want to get short, but the best profits are at the beginning of the turn-around.

#29     May 25, 2004
  10. man... OMG! I shouldn't have covered oil last night. Then I reshorted again this morning. But I covered for a small profit. Then the monster move came. doh!

but overall, I didn't lose money shorting oil.

it's not as obvious as u like to think.

anyhow, i think in order to make big money, you gotta have a "view" and constantly check the market prices to see if it confirms that. cuz if you pay attention to every wiggle lines on the chart you'll never have the gut feel to hold.

i held natural gas though it's not the logical or safe thing to do. and i should have held other stuffs if i had stick to my view and be vigilant of prices...

nothing to trade now...

oh well

#30     May 25, 2004