Crude Oil Prediction 2018

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by radha00027, Jan 2, 2018.

1. themickey

themickey

#91     Jul 20, 2018
  2. treeman

treeman

Crude, and Copper remind me of the quote: "If I were walking along a railroad track and saw an express train coming at me sixty miles an hour, I would not be damned fool enough not to get off the track and let the train go by."

#92     Aug 8, 2018
  3. themickey

themickey

#93     Aug 27, 2018
  4. Rickylee

Rickylee

Bearish. (I think)

The relative increase in the value of the US dollar against EM currencies is going to be hurting them in 2 ways.

1. Oil is becoming more expensive which is bearish for demand.

2. US dollar denominated debt is also going to be more difficult to pay back, in turn drawing more money out of the country, which will hurt.

If the Emerging Markets go into a crisis, this will spread to those lenders who own the debt, as they begin to fail on payments. The owners of the debt are mainly US financials. If US financials come down, so does everything else.

On the bullish side, Iranian sanctions, limited spare capacity, reduced investment in new oil production.

Iranian Sanctions

Trump is not going to want to see too much of an increase in the price of oil because of the correlation between US gasoline prices and a Presidents popularity (especially as we approach the midterms), therefore, he could change his mind on the sanctions or provide wavers to relieve pressure on the market, which will bring down prices.

Limited Spare Capacity

In July of this year Saudi Arabia reduced its oil production because it was unable to find buyers for its oil. I think that this is indicative of the fact that supply is well balanced with demand (at least in the short term). Also, any losses can be replaced with increased US Shale output, provided the Permian bottlenecks don't cause an issue (again, not a challenge in the short term).

Reduce Investment

This is not an issue in the short term, and the reduced capacity of aging oil fields. Again, this is not an issue in the short term.

WOULD LOVE TO HEAR ANY THOUGHTS.

#94     Sep 5, 2018
  5. themickey

themickey

Oil is heading down from here.
    Don't have any levels, just a bearish outlook at this point in time.
    Expecting support not to hold up.

#95     Sep 6, 2018
  6. Rickylee

Rickylee

What's that based on Mickey? Would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

#96     Sep 7, 2018
  7. themickey

themickey

Numerous barometer bellwethers for commodities which I follow.
    Using Google chromebooks which is linked to the cloud I have created a large spreadsheet which downloads automatically data of a large range of commodities including energy.
    Yesterdays energy bellwethers showed signs of a large across the board selloff.

#97     Sep 7, 2018
  8. themickey

themickey

I hope I don't have to eat humble pie, stirrings of a bounce on oil near close today, could that be due to the USD which had a very nice upmove on the labor employment report.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-...port-but-trade-tensions-persist-idUSKCN1LN02O

#98     Sep 7, 2018
  9. Rickylee

Rickylee

When you say bounce do you mean a bottom?

I would've thought that the strength of the US dollar and the price of oil would've been inversely proportional. As the dollar does up, demand drops due to oil being more expensive, relative to a countries currency.

#99     Sep 8, 2018
  10. themickey

themickey

Correlation between USD & oil is not consistent, inverse/proportional only sometimes.

Price action of the day with lower lows and lower highs but closing at the top of the bar after moving up all day.

#100     Sep 8, 2018