Crude is screwed, man.

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by Overnight, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

Germany is a prime example of a large industrialized nation that uses renewable energy in mind blowing capacity. It costs subsidies initially but the momentum has been cemented and there is broad based support in society, oil and natural gas dependence will only further decrease over time without replacing it by nuclear energy.

#31     Feb 27, 2017
  2. That would have been my guess, but I haven't looked at the research. I do know that prices go up or down based on the relative aggressiveness of buyers and sellers. I also agree that the commercials have better information than other players. But does that presuppose that commercials are necessarily the aggressors in any particular price move? Too many moving parts for me, so I ignore it for my purposes.

#32     Feb 27, 2017
  3. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

As any industry veteran and they will tell you that the prop groups at Shell, ExxonMobil, BP are all not doing fantastically great. What does that tell you? That they know not a bit more about the eminent strike, pipeline sabotage, hurricane impact, political decisions by opec and non opec members than any other informed player in the industry. The oil market is way too big for a single company and its prop group to sway prices just because they are better informed about their own company projects.

#33     Feb 27, 2017
  4. Yes, Zzz1, there is also the matter of commercials getting it wrong despite their being better informed on balance. Yet another (annoying) moving part...

And so, I will sit on the sidelines and watch the exchange between you and Mav.

#34     Feb 27, 2017
  5. conley1

conley1

Certainly, there are a lot of politics and concern regarding market share involved as always (and OPEC seems to be functioning surprisingly well right now), but ultimately it all goes back to profit. You seem to be saying margins don't matter. Do you mind explaining your thinking further?

#35     Feb 27, 2017
  6. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

Margins do matter but for many top players nearly not as much as for American firms, or Russia. Also Saudi Arabia and other Middle Eastern producers can profitably extract at 10-15 bucks a barrel. Their coffers are filled to the hilt. Even Norway finances it's entire social welfare program from the returns of its sovereign weather fund, entirely invested through oil proceeds. Profits matter but nearly not as much as market share because market share means power and leverage. It is way more important than profits for especially middle eastern players

#36     Feb 27, 2017
  7. conley1

conley1

OK thanks. Yes, we're mostly in agreement then.

#37     Feb 27, 2017
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

Don't have time to respond now but all your points are misinformed zzz1.

#38     Feb 27, 2017
  9. helgen_1

helgen_1

You seem overly sure of your view.

For me it's a coin toss at the moment. If you are talking 30-40 years out in time, you may have a point, but I don't think that is the time horizon you had in mind.

Oil could easily be at 30 bucks in 2 years time. And it could easily be at 70 in 2 months time. I'm playing both sides.

H.

#39     Feb 27, 2017
    Gotcha and Overnight like this.
  10. dealmaker

dealmaker

Renewable energy is only 13.44% of the total energy market. It will take decades and a lot of subsidies before renewable is cheaper than hydrocarbons. Glut in the marketplace will hurt US, Canada rather than SA as they have the cheapest cost of production. Yes oil could be $30/ barrel but will it stay there as US, Canada and others need $50/ barrel plus to stay in the game.

#40     Feb 27, 2017