CRUCIAL Knowledge about TA.

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by alex.samant, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Technical analysis, Is not for everyone

Some use it successfully and some don't .....it's that simple

the problem I find with technical analysis is all different oscillators out there

They all lag behind price ..........

/////////////////////////////////////////////
    How could Macd, Stochastics , Parobolics etc . be so dam popular if people will truly understand this ?

they are all lagging indicators ----

You have all head this said before in here
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    The only leading technical style is to learn Candlestick Formations and to
    couple it with significant lows and highs with the higher time frames bar charts
    Daily , Weekly, Monthly , and Quarterly charts

#51     Jan 17, 2008
  2. [​IMG]
    British Pound/Usd Elliott Waves Chart

Technical Analysis applied -
    ( No Oscillators )

#52     Jan 17, 2008
  3. marketwavez! What are you doing outside the premises of the FF forums??
    Just kidding mate, welcome aboard!

Nice chart (I'm assuming it's pointing bullish). I'm long GBPUSD, great action so far this morning. :)

#53     Jan 17, 2008
  4. nice rounding bottom, although a lot of volatility intraday for the past 2 days

maybe you'd wait for that to clear up...

#54     Jan 17, 2008

5. Harold

What works for me, is learning to "characterize" a market..For example, one way of characterizing a market is taking intraday data and exporting it to a spreadsheet, detrending it, and then looking at how price jumps from one price point to another. If you do this for a couple of weeks (or months) worth of data, eventually you develop a sense of how big the average move is, how often that market trends, AS WELL AS THE SIZE OF THE AVERAGE PULLBACK BEFORE PRICE RESUMES ITS TREND. Once you know this, you can make some decisions about how to enter a trending market on a pullback.

There are a number of very important things (in addition to what I have pointed out) that a trader can learn from doing that analysis, but this is one that seems important to you.

#55     Jan 17, 2008
  6. I agree with most of your post but to clarify a point you are making.

Candlestick formations are only accurate when they are used on consistent charts. Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Quarterly or even Yearly charts are consistent in time but not in volume and are . . . just ok.
    If you want a more accurate read on Candlestick formations use Constant Volume Bar Charts and use a large volume number to represent a chart that is close to those time based charts. You will find the Candlestick formations will be more accurate and more consistent.

#56     Jan 17, 2008
  7. Candlestick can also be lagging . if you are using the formation on a 10 minute bar you could be 9 minutes behind someone using a 1 minute bar???

#57     Jan 17, 2008
  8. but the one using 1 minute bar does not have the same formation as you and maybe not the same bias/trend.... so what is the point?

#58     Jan 17, 2008
  9. it's not a race. it all depends on your own personal context in which you are using different interpretations of price action ...

i personally find candlesticks as being too fast and needing supplementary confirmation... that.. i find to be inefficient.

#59     Jan 17, 2008
  10. Candlesticks lag less when you use Constant Volume Bar Charts.

Also, the information contained on a 10 minute chart (to begin with is noisy due to the inconsistent nature of time) has NOTHING to do with the information contained on a one minute chart.

Trade one chart at a time like it is a single entity. A top on one chart is simply a pullback in a slower chart. If one learns the interaction and pure movemnet of price their trading will improve 100 fold.

#60     Jan 17, 2008