Crooks Hijack Online Brokerage Accounts

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by eagle488, Oct 14, 2006.

1. amg

amg Guest

#11     Oct 14, 2006
  2. Makes me glad I'm a geek. This article has made the decision for me to switch my trading PC to Linux or OpenBSD. Hardware firewall in front of a *nix box with my packet sniffer turned on.

I'm not saying I'm impervious, but I can say I'm not passive about security.

Any notes about running IB's TWS on Linux? Anyone running OpenBSD?

#12     Oct 14, 2006
  3. Good one Risk. Thanks.

#13     Oct 15, 2006
  4. #14     Oct 15, 2006
  5. I can't comment on IB, but as for OBSD...don't waste your time.

#15     Oct 15, 2006
  6. gbos

gbos

I am not a software engineer but I think the task of capturing with a trojan the exchange of input between ¡on screen keyboards¢ and the operating system is trivial. It will offer protection only in limited cases of keyloggers not designed to capture this exchange.

In one case that a trojan infected my pc, neither the antivirus nor spybot detected it. Instead I use Process Explorer application from time to time for monitoring any suspicious activity on my pc. With this application I spotted two suspect dlls running in memory and I detected the trojan.

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

#16     Oct 15, 2006
  7. TGM

TGM

cool tool I have all kinds of stuff running. How do you tell when something is shady? Any tips.

#17     Oct 15, 2006
  8. TGM

TGM

I take it you run snoopfree all the time?

It does not appear to use up much in the way of resources.

#18     Oct 15, 2006
  9. Two things might help immensely with your account security.

1 ... issue a broker instruction that account funds must only be credited to a pre nominated bank account ( namely yours)

2 ... Any transfer of funds must be initiated by fax only, never email, and using a pre set code which is never faxed or e mailed.

Any variations to the above must be received by fedexed hard copy only.

Always issue key broker instructions by hardcopy only.

#19     Oct 15, 2006
  10. gbos

gbos

For example I noticed that a legit windows application was consuming cpu time even when the pc was idle. I inspected in the lower pane the attached dll files with this application and noticed an unsigned one with an unfamiliar name. A right click and google of the name revealed it was part of a trojan application. I had to google and follow a long list of actions to get rid of it (clean windows registry entries etc). However you must be careful because most unsigned apps may be legit and deleting them can cause problems. Don¢t assume something is a Trojan unless absolutely sure about it.

#20     Oct 15, 2006