crocodile

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by jgadefelth, Jan 27, 2006.

1. can someone please explain this for me what is an crocodile in the technical analys? i know that there is some moving average involved but will someone please explain it?

Best Regards John

2. Like a black swan, but green. :D

3. ran into a croc once. where I live you find them in rivers in the north of the country. sneaky sh*%s that wait for you to go for a swim, then jump out and eat all the german tourists lurking in the area!
    :D

4. I dont know what the heck a crocodile is , but if you mean the "alligator", ala bill williams (not larry)
    Its :
    - A smoothed 5-bar moving average, offset 3 bars forward

_A smoothed 8 bar moving average, offset 5 bars forward

_ A smoothed 13 bar moving average, offset 8 bars forward.

I dont know what their smoothed by exactly.

Together, they comprise a lagging trend indicator, for use in basic strong momentum and swing trading, per the williams (not larry) method.
    Unless you did actually mean the crocodile........

5. acronym, i mixed my animals up :) thats the one i mean. I understand the sma but what is the offset meaning i dont think i have it in my program?

Best Regards John

6. acronym, i mixed my animals up :) thats the one i mean. I understand the sma but what is the offset meaning i dont think i have it in my program?

Best Regards John

7. Oh, its just "offset" 5, or 8, (or however many, thats just the ones used by bill williams) bars into the future.
    Depends what program you've got, i know in metastock or tradestation the offset function is built in.
    Impossible for me to use, but its in there.

Say you have a 3 bar moving average (or linear regression, or xyz indicator) , the offset function just places it a distance to the right of where it would normally be, 1-2-3-etc days into the future.

It might'nt seem like a lot of use, except that they turn more in time with the price, and often stay a little closer to the bars, important for a MA crossover method for example,
    COMPARED to just using a longer time frame initially.

8. I have strategy runner not mutch indicators but it works.

is it mutch differents between if i just use the ordenary sma or ema and dissregards the ofset?

Best Regards John

9. Not as far as i can tell, as long as your comfortable with your indicator setup.

I mucked around with all sorts of settings, came up with something i really liked, gives me the info i need.

Then again, i might be the wrong person to ask............:D

10. what are the indcators i can se parabolic sar but what more and are the program Amibroker?

Best Regards John

#10     Jan 27, 2006