Crisis Fuels Backlash on Trade

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by TraderZones, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Your argument only makes sense in the frictionless world of economic theory.

What happens when you have asymetric trade? One country has open borders, the other doesn't. Where will the wealth go? It will go to the one that has closed borders.

Another problem is that labour is not as mobile as trade and technology is.
    A worker can't move to China and get a job there in the bright new fields offered by globalization, he stays here to rot.

The US for decades has successfully played these trade wars very well, using agriculture as a major weapon. Well, they've met their match in China (and Japan before) who were 1) self sustaining and ONLY THEN did they 2) compete internationally. Now the US is losing the international trade wars, we need to go back to the basics and not trade with countries that's to our disadvantage.

I always say that there are 2 kinds of trade, domestic trade and international trade. Should California trade with Texas? Yes. Should the US trade with China? That's a harder one.

#11     Feb 1, 2009
  2. really, who is gonna buy our paper?

#12     Feb 1, 2009

3. you are stupid. and I'll leave my analysis of your post at that.

The US imports 70% of all consumed goods. therefore shutting off all these imports means domestic manufacturers would have to supply these goods.

protectionism is what is needed. Not more divide and conquer zionist bull shit. How do you know your congressman is a zionist? go have a chat with him on trade. If he is for free trade, kick the shit out of the scum.

#13     Feb 1, 2009
  4. You mean, the currency-manipulating Chinese, who se single purpose is to become exporter to the world? Their only interest, is growing their exports to keep ahead of the western citizens coming out of the farms and villages looking for work.

China gets into an industry, pumps a lot of govt muscle in, establishes a complete supply chain, until they leave other countries as shells of their former selves. This has happened in Latin America, Aftica, Europe, North America, and many other regions.

They are now planning on doing this to aircraft, and cars. When they are done, Boeing/Airbus and western car makers will lose huge market share. They did this in steel.

What does China buy from the west? Ag products, raw materials, factory building equipment, etc.

I have ZERO interest in what they plan. I want to tarriff and gut the Chinese plan,nad rebuild American manufacturing, and other industries. I don't WANT Chinese imports.

#14     Feb 1, 2009
  5. EXACTLY. We went from a service and manufacturing powerhouse, to an outsourcing center, giving away expertise, jobs, and many things to the lowest available wages. Our trade deficit is terrifying, and aside from this economic crisis, expanding rapidly every year.

In the US, labor and environmental controls are strong. Therefore, things like fish farming products are exported here from other countries, who don't worry so much about polluting their waterways or things like safety or retirement benefits for workers.

#15     Feb 1, 2009
  6. None of you have made a well thought out pro-argument. Protectionism is terrible for Americans. Let me explain:

1) Lifestyle change: that computer you are using right now will cost at least double (however currency "manipulation" would likely take place simultaneously to thwart the effects. LOL) And that pair of Nikes, and that automatic coffee maker too.

2) Government initiates TARP-III (100% on the backs of taxpayers, 100% created out of thin-air) for US corporations to re-tool to provide US consumers with the goods they are missing. It's just like real war, except it's trade war. Good thing!

3) Oops. Workers aren't clamoring for the mindless factory-like work. $12 hourly wage isn't cutting it either. Maybe drilling a hole into sheet metal really is worth $71 an hour. Bring on the Employee Free Choice Act! Oops

4) Foreign nations, who are unequivocally in depression (since America cut them off) have no choice. No money for you. In fact, you know that 300B lent to you a last year, it's our money and we NEED it now! BYO soup bowls and utensils. Do not expect soup with rice.

Oil is $400 a barrel, Molsen is $40 a six-pack. Late model US-made SUVs are the new FEMA trailers. But hey, the DTV converter box is subsidized.

WAKE THE FUCK UP!!!

Once unthinkable, now unstoppable
    obama-lama

#16     Feb 1, 2009
  7. You anti-trade guys think small. Look to smoot-hawley if you wonder what happens when trade shuts down. Aggregate demand falls, supply falls, economies shrink.

If you want smaller economies, shut down trade.

#17     Feb 1, 2009
  8. Oil is $400 a barrel, Molsen is $40 a six-pack. Late model US-made SUVs are the new FEMA trailers. But hey, the DTV converter box is subsidized.
    -----------------

This rings a bell. You are probably right. I read a theory a while ago, now forgotten, any more thoughts on this?

#18     Feb 1, 2009
  9. Amen Tradezones. It is the CEO class that supports this "free trade - open borders" stuff and they also caused the economic meltdown Unfortunately, the payoff congress so the status quo will never change. Hey can we argue about abortion, gay marriage, and guns while they clean out the store? I mean aren't those the issues that will matter the most when the soup lines of the 20's are brought back. Sorry I just played the class warfare card didn't I.

#19     Feb 1, 2009
  10. Cutten

Cutten

I agree. I'm not sure which is bigger - the stupidity or the arrogance on display by some of these people.

Listen guys, if you can't even be arsed to read basic literature on a subject, just do the world a favour and keep your mouth shut about it. You wouldn't debate brain surgery procedures if you'd never gone to med school or at least read a few textbooks - why is trade policy any different? You need to learn first, only then do you have the right to form an opinion and have it respected. Until then you are just arrogant ignorant blowhards advocating depression, repression and poverty for the entire world.

#20     Feb 1, 2009