Criminalizing Criticism of Israel

Discussion in 'Politics' started by sameeh55, May 7, 2009.

1. To answer your question, please read the following titles found on the Department of State I posted earlier;

- IV. Actions by Governments
    - V. Multilateral Action
    - VI. U.S. Government Actions to Monitor and Combat Anti-Semitism

http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/40258.htm

Tresor, I am not an alarmist but this is bad and scary!

#81     May 10, 2009
  2. Tresor

Tresor

Well, what can I say?

I hope that the law will be used to combat hatred towards Jews, not to combat political views on Zionism and Israel. I hope that the money will be spent sensibly on, e.g. education.

I myself was proven ignorant a few posts ago by a_person, so I believe the education (unbiased) is important and is a good means of achieving hatred-free sociaties.

Regards

#82     May 10, 2009
  3. actually it says: Anti -Semitism has at times taken the form of vilification of Zionism...

Which is absolutely and undoubtedly true and has nothing in common with your wording.

#83     May 10, 2009
  4. Oh, and I did not even try to debate the definition of anti-semitism in my previous posts, the only point I was making was that anti-semitism is not now and will not in the future be a criminal offense, which is totally contrary to the dishonest and absurd article that started this thread.

#84     May 10, 2009
  5. Tresor

Tresor

Guilty as charged; my sentence should have read: ''Indeed it says that villification of Zionism may be in some cases regarded as a form of anti-Semitism''.

Now, who will decide which case of anti-zionism is anti-Semitic; what are the criteria? Not clear. A law that does not define what is white and what is black but instead has shades of grey is imperfect and may be subject to dirty plays.

I hope this will not be the case.

Regards

#85     May 10, 2009
  6. 1. I called Zionism an evil ideology and posted link to Wikipedia where Zionist terrorist attacks are listed. Can it be treated by US authorities as my being anti-Semitic?
    Oh, you'll be fine, don't worry. But if you commit a crime and choose your victim because he is a Zionist you may well be prosecuted according to hate crime legislature.

2. The Act says: ''Office to Monitor and Combat Anti -Semitism''. Do you guys have idea of how US intend to combat anti-Semitism as defined in the Act?
    Nothing to worry about again, there'll be no hand to hand combat or nation-wide mass arrests of anonymous internet bloggers. They will combat anti-semitism just like they combat anti-catholicism, racism, sexism, homophobia or any other kind of discrimination. Mostly it's going to be education. Like for example they'll explain to you that anti-zionists don't believe in Israel's right to exist.

#86     May 10, 2009
  7. the law never defines what's black and what's white, at least not in this country (and I doubt anywhere else). It's always a matter of judgment, common sense, context, and circumstances. That's why we have courts, judges, lawyers, prosecutors, jurors. If things were black and white court cases would be decided by computers.

#87     May 10, 2009
  8. And who is going to decide a_person? In every opportunity and whenever a non Jew criticizes the State of Israel and Zionists, you and the rest of the Zionists here accuse him of Anti Semitism!

Frankly, anyone who tailored Anti Semitism to only fit Jews while denying the true Semites such identity should never ever be trusted.

Also, anyone who falsified complete histories should not be trusted either. And when we know that the Anti Defamation League and other Zionist organizations had a major part in drafting this act, it only confirms the real intentions of this act.

#88     May 10, 2009
  9. And who is going to decide a_person?
    If no crime is committed - no one, if a crime is committed then the judge and the jury will decide whether it was a hate crime. Relax, your little anonymous internet jihad is perfectly safe.

In every opportunity and whenever a non Jew criticizes the State of Israel and Zionists, you and the rest of the Zionists here accuse him of Anti Semitism!
    There is some truth in what you say, people do sometime overreact and conflate anti-zionism or disagreement with Israeli policies with anti-semitism. But then way too many people on your side of the fence use anti-zionism and anti-Israel incitement as a convenient cover for their true jew-hating nature. And you tend to gladly keep these idiots in your camp and view them as allies, you don't not even realize that they help destroy, not advance your cause.

For example ZZZzzz/Optional has repeatedly demonstrated antisemitic tendencies in issues totally unrelated to Israel, Zionism and the Middle East. For him his virulently anti-israel position is just a convenient cover. Given his reputation on this site I am kinda glad he is on your side though.

#89     May 10, 2009