Crime does pay

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by wareco, Jul 18, 2005.

1. no, it's if a bomb goes off in London, Short GBP/USD.

Unfortunately I was long British pound when the bombs went off and I got whacked.

oh well....

I opened another long lower and made over 200 points on the retracement so... it all worked out.

#11     Jul 19, 2005
  2. #12     Jul 19, 2005
  3. mogul

mogul

am I missing something?

according to the headline:

Who shorted
    British pound?
    Currency fell 6% in 10 days
    before London terror attacks

so they're saying that whoever shorted this was responsible for the 6% decline? come on

and what about this line: "That is, after all, an annualized rate of loss of well over 100 percent."

what a joke

#13     Jul 19, 2005
  4. No really, mogul is right.

This is a joke. A SAD joke. There were a number of technical indicators to short the pound if you looked at the daily chart and there were numerous fundamental indicators that would have prompted you to short it and stay short no matter what.

So this kind of assumption, the journalist type, is as usual trying to prove something that they have no idea about.

If they had an idea about trading, they would have been doing it and not writing about it.

It's always the quest for the sensational that all conspiracy theories fans are about.

The charts will tell the truth.

The airlines stocks and insurance stocks before the 9/11 were overbought and a strong indication of reversal.

Maybe we should hold responsible the people who bought them in the first place giving other people the opportunity to sell them. This is nuts. Why not put the blame on Dow Jones for making this possible at all?

#14     Jul 19, 2005
  5. Remiraz

Remiraz

coinz,
    i was trying to demonstrate how to profit off even if they removed short selling.

#15     Jul 19, 2005
  6. trading against the trend, eh?
    :D

lol

#16     Jul 19, 2005
  7. If we could just figure out when the 40 nukes are going to go off, and we could be short the S&P 500.......

but who will we get to settle the trade?

Actually, Espeed and the airlines were shorted on the Paris Bourse (sp) in the days leading up to 9/11.

Also, search Anthony Elgindy famous short selling artist, King of the Naked Short, recently convicted. He bragged on 9/10 that the dow was going to 3000, and sold all his long holdings, 300k I believe, and wired the money to Lebanon. And, it was Bin Laden who said, "I know the cracks in the American financial system like the lines in my own hand".

THis stuff isn't as far fetched as you think. You can't be a terrorist w/o money. And they know where to get it. It is fasinating. I've spoken to Congressman and Senators about this, but they have their respective heads buried so far up their respective asses, they are of little use. I believe America is sincerely blessed to be so great a place with such dolts making the rules.

#17     Jul 22, 2005
  8. A 6% drop in the British pound can be explained away

But how do you explain the unusual options activity in airline stocks before 911?

#18     Jul 25, 2005
  9. ...........and ESpeed, the Cantor Fitzgerald unit literally wiped out, was shorted heavily. And Elgindy.......

But don't worry, because before your Grandmother can open any account w/a Broker/bank/MF, she'll have to produce her driver's license.

#19     Jul 25, 2005
  10. range

range

To me, the "unusual" put data suggests that there was not front-running by terrorists. If each option was trading for $3 and the activity was 3,000 above "normal" (according to the article in wnd.com), then the terrorists put less than $1MM into the options trade, assuming no one else was putting on the same trade. If the average option price was $1, then that would be $300K in the trade, assuming no one else was getting short. Is wnd.com defining the "normal" volume by the previous year's average, the previous month's average? "Normal" is probably much lower than the average for the past week. Not persuasive in my opinion.

Remember that, coming off the bubble peak in March, 2000, the cash S&P500 had taken out its 3/22/2001 low of 1081 on 9/10/2001. The 9/10/2001 S&P low was at a level it had not been at since 1998!!!! Is anyone surprised that some traders were short coming into 9/11? That is the obvious trade if you are a position trader (which I am not).

#20     Jul 25, 2005