Credit Default Swaps (CDS) wtf?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by jonbig04, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Last I heard back in October there was an estimated $62 T in outstanding CDS. Haven't heard a peep since then.
    Can't imagine they're out of the woods, although haven't seen a big firm BK since then.
    Is this perhaps why?
    Anyone keeping tabs on this?
    It's mostly beyond my understanding but not beyond my curiosity.

#51     Feb 18, 2009
  2. piezoe

piezoe

The problem is that because they were unregulated too much risk was associated with them. Those selling CDS's were not required to maintain sufficient reserves, and they vastly underestimated the probability of systemic failure in the bond markets.

#52     Feb 18, 2009
  3. sjfan

sjfan

... not required to maintain sufficient reserve? that might have been true for a selected group of players once, it's certainly not true anymore. Almost everyone post collaterals and variation margins. In case of a counterparty default (so long as it's not a big bank), the contracts are torn and it's over.

I'm not sure what "they vastly underestimated the probability of systemic failure in the bond markets" means. They are idiosyncratic bets. If you were talking about senior tranche on CDOs, I'd agree. But that's another discussion all together.

#53     Feb 18, 2009