Credit Default Swaps (CDS) wtf?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by jonbig04, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Wrong.
    It's about half that.
    $34.8 trillion as of October 9th.

#31     Oct 20, 2008
  2. :confused:

#32     Oct 20, 2008
  3. dve250

dve250

So what don't you understand? Do I need to hold your hand and take you through it?

#33     Oct 20, 2008
  4. No one has declared these CDS "contracts" illegal. The amount of counter-party risk isn't going away anytime soon. There are still a series of CDS auctions coming up . . . and just because you think that CDS's could be declared "illegal" doesn't mean that the current counter-party risk ( which is huge ) somehow evaporates. The cash has to come from somewhere.

http://www.isda.org/

#34     Oct 20, 2008
  5. I ask again, all you bond holders out there...even if your exposure is small, would you insure it if the price was right?

#35     Oct 20, 2008
  6. But decisions made at a brief meeting on April 28, 2004, explain why the problems could spin out of control. The agency’s failure to follow through on those decisions also explains why Washington regulators did not see what was coming.

On that bright spring afternoon, the five members of the Securities and Exchange Commission met in a basement hearing room to consider an urgent plea by the big investment banks.

They wanted an exemption for their brokerage units from an old regulation that limited the amount of debt they could take on. The exemption would unshackle billions of dollars held in reserve as a cushion against losses on their investments. Those funds could then flow up to the parent company, enabling it to invest in the fast-growing but opaque world of mortgage-backed securities; credit derivatives, a form of insurance for bond holders; and other exotic instruments.

The five investment banks led the charge, including Goldman Sachs, which was headed by Henry M. Paulson Jr. Two years later, he left to become Treasury secretary.

A lone dissenter — a software consultant and expert on risk management — weighed in from Indiana with a two-page letter to warn the commission that the move was a grave mistake. He never heard back from Washington.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/03/business/03sec.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

#36     Oct 20, 2008
  7. There seems to be a lot of questions on CDS and some mis information. First they are swaps in the traditional sense that it is an exchange of fixed for floating payments. CDS have a particular feature in certain events (default, reorganization etc.) This is why they are not insurance (strictly speaking). I'm not here to defend the CDS market or its players. That said, it is messed up and needs fixing.

#37     Oct 21, 2008
  8. dve250

dve250

I know they haven't been declared illegal but should and coud be. Since they are insurance against corporate bonds but named something else to subvert the insurance regulations, they are, in my opinion, illegal insurance. If the alternative is to lets these worthless pieces of paper ruin our economy then the legislatures should step in and declare them illegal and non enforcable in the courts. People that own these CDSs are just speculators anyway. Someone needs to step up and draw the line and set things right.

#38     Oct 21, 2008
  9. dve250

dve250

Oh, and that nice pretty web site certainly makes the CDSs more ligitimate.

#39     Oct 21, 2008
  10. sjfan

sjfan

What does cds have anything to do with ruining the economy? It's no different from a equity call or put ...

And what you think is an insurance contract doesn't matter. It's not.

#40     Oct 21, 2008