credit card debt

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by mac, Jan 6, 2010.

1. maxpi

maxpi

I totally stopped being nice to the collections people. They all break the laws until you tell them you won't put up with it.

I had one calling me at my job about my neighbor's debts once. They insisted it was very important so I tried to get a dollar value assigned to the importance. They would not pay even $50 for his whereabouts so I told them the same things I told the credit card companies...

#11     Jan 8, 2010
  2. mac

mac

Thanks for all the info people. I actually only have one CC. 10k balance. I have to pay this off completely. I can barely make the monthly payments now, but I just brought it up to date so the consolidation co. is out of the question. I didn't really want to go that route anyway. I think I'll just try to get a equity loan to pay it off.

#12     Jan 10, 2010
  3. the1

the1

You realize by getting an equity loan you are converting unsecured debt to secured? That's always the worst thing you can do. Negotiate a payment plan with the CC company yourself and head Buzzed advice. That was a terrific post!

I've been where you are. I have an 845 credit score now.

#13     Jan 10, 2010
  4. Such is life.

I'm 23 years old, and already owe 42k in unsecured debt.

They kept calling every day, several times a day. That's what you get with 14 credit cards, on all of which you're defaulting due to lack of income & savings having run out. Anyway, changed my phone number, and the calls went away!

I love how the $500 card collectors tried to convince me that paying them off is somehow more in my interest than paying off the $10,000 card I have with another bank.

Once, they called while I was having sex with my significant other. That was a quick conversation.

Oh, I love how they threaten to report you to the credit reporting agencies when you're already 3 months past due (happens 30 days in, for those who don't know).

The person I spoke most to in regards to the matter said it's a shame that it was only 35k. But he's dealt with those who've gone away with half a mill.

Anyway... I have nothing to sue for. Can't guarantee I won't be homeless within the next few months.

I especially love how the collectors asked whether or not I'm getting any unemployment, and have tried to convince me to pay "just XX dollars to help you get back on track and improve your credit score" when I explained to them in crystal clear terms that I don't get enough to cover rent, food, utilities, etc.

Once, I asked the guy on the other end this: "Hey, why was the guy who signed me up for the credit card white, and the guy who picks up when I have a customer service issue sound Indian, and now you, the collector, sound black?"

#14     Jan 10, 2010
  5. clacy

clacy

Is much of this student loan debt? You couldn't possibly have racked up $42k in credit card debt at your age could you?

#15     Jan 10, 2010
  6. In case you didn't catch this part, I have a significant other.

#16     Jan 10, 2010
  7. You don't have to pay your debt off. Keep changing your telephone number. Screen all calls. Change your address often. Do not update your drivers license when you move. Use a P.O. Box for mail. Do not use Facebook.

#17     Jan 10, 2010