Credir card debt --staggering

Discussion in 'Economics' started by NY_HOOD, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Let me explplain as simply as I can. Restaurants are like cars, you need 4 wheels for it to move. If even one wheel is missing, the whole thing doesn’t work. Even if some people are hard working, there are many others who are lazy enough to ruin the whole thing. Anyways, what do you care?Most people who work at restaurants are lower income earners, of which you seem to despise so much. According to your logic, if people don’t make much money they must be lazy, and are therefore losers.

I am one of the hard working ones that keep the restaurant going and actually try’s to do right to the customer. I don’t want help from anybody, I want people to do their job. I do mine, they should do there’s. How would you feel if some order taker didn’t give a crap about anything and screwed up the whole order. Then I go knock on the wrong door at 12 at night and the people are yelling at me. Then when I go back to the store the person tells me he’s glad he screwed up the order and wasted my time and money. Then the manager told me, “ I don’t care, I’m going home, deal with it.” OK once is fine, twice, ok. But what if this happened almost everyday month after month. You have two choices deal with it or find a new job. I have done it both ways and both ways is difficult. Why do you seem to jump on the people who do their job, and defend those who don’t?

#151     Dec 24, 2008
  2. And a good manager will keep all four wheels and every other part of the car in good working order so the car runs smoothly and efficiently.

Look... I don't despise lower income workers and I started out with nothing myself. In fact, I totally respect anyone who earns an honest living and doesn't whine about their conditions when it's in their power to improve them. I also totally respect anyone who tries and fails -- no matter how many times -- as long as they pick themselves up and don't whine about it.

Kevmeister was right... please read his post again with an open mind. You could own that pizza place or create another business that gives your employees all the benefits you hold dear if you had the right attitude and really put your mind to it.

I don't want to argue with you... I just want to give you another perspective.

I'll leave you with these quotes as food for thought... times were tough when these people lived too.

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle."-Abraham Lincoln

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."-Thomas Edison

"All mankind is divided into three classes: those that are immovable, those that are movable, and those that move."-Benjamin Franklin

"It's no use saying, "We are doing our best." You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary."-Winston Churchill

#152     Dec 24, 2008
  3. It'd be nice to cite a source other than an industry lobby. That's like getting consensual sex statistics from NAMBLA.

More to the point, my opinion is that higher insurance rates on someone with a 520 Beacon, besides controversial, is more of the same lame bullshit that companies like Washington Mutual played with homeowners and Capital One plays with cardholders.

Yeah, I had one of those liar loans from WaMu. It was so fucking easy to get I couldn't believe it. No appraisal, no proof of income, no nothing. Just fill out the application and "ding fries are done".

I also had a card with Capital One, which I promptly closed out when I was unceremoniously notified that rates were going up on a fixed interest card,"because we aren't making enough money". Their words, not mine.

Predatory, that's the word for it. They can all go bankrupt for all I care. They deserve to.

And before you label me a deadbeat, I sold the house and paid off Wamu. I just find your altruistic viewpoint a bit zealous and wonder who your employer is. You wouldn't happen to be adversely affected by all this chaos in the credit market, would you?

#153     Dec 24, 2008
  4. Yes you are absolutely right, a good manager keeps everything running smoothly. But my point is the franchisors have gotten to the point where all they care about is money and hiring those who will work for the least amount posssible. This has led to the deterioration of the quality of people that work there, especially managers.

I think I explained enough to Kevmeister that it’s not like I’ve delivered pizza and expect to have a middle class lifestyle, I have used it to live cheaply and use the money I saved for other things. Unfortunately nothing has worked. I have tried many things. Like I said, I even had a store in the mall that I worked 80+ hours a week to try to bring to profitability. It didn’t work. That’s fine, I will try again. My butt is so black and blue from falling it’s no wonder I can still walk, but I will get up again, there’s no doubt about that. My point is that each time I fail and have to go back to a job, it gets harder and harder. I get paid less and less, and the cost of living goes up and up. This makes it incredibly difficult to try again. Also I contend that it leads to a lot of our debt problems, although all of my debt is business related. I don’t spend more than I make. OK OK I gave into my gratification and got an iPhone. But no big screen t.v.’s or $150 shoes for me.Other people don’t have so much determination, so they just vote Democrat and want the government to give them everything from the rich. I simply want a little bit more of a level playing field.

Probably, what I am most proud of is my eBay feedback. I worked very hard at that. I didn't have to rely on anybody and it was all up to me. Check it out under the same screen name. I loved selling on eBay and was profitable at it. I have been unable to find more stuff to sell however. I would love to make a living doing that.

I think the Churchill quote is very good. I do feel that sense that I just need to just get it done. I think I would label my life as that other one Edison said. When somebody asked him why he kept trying to make a light bulb when he kept failing, didn’t he say something like, “I have not failed 99 times, I have found 99 ways not to make a light bulb.” I have not found the way to success, but I’ve sure found 100 ways not to. This goes for trading and business. Don’t scalp forex for example. The spreads will take all your money. Although I was trading it back when spreads were 5-8 ticks. I haven’t tried covered calls though, that’s on my list to do.

I have to finish my shopping and then go to work now. Hopefully we’ll get a nice Christmas Eve rush. See ya.

#154     Dec 24, 2008
  5. The article I linked to does give both sides of the argument... did you read the whole thing? If you don't like it you're welcome to google for another.

I have no intention of labeling you a deadbeat and I have no financial stake in the credit market other than how it's affected the economy.

About my viewpoint... can you honestly say there's NOT a pervasive abdication of personal responsibility in our society?

I agree there's predatory lending but have you noticed that some people always manage to steer clear of it?

#155     Dec 24, 2008
  6. Einstein also said something similar to that Edison comment. I used to say that if I wasn't making mistakes every day, I wasn't doing anything. I can't list them off the top of my head but Lincoln failed at one thing after another in his life before he was elected president. I could go on but bottom line is it's the human condition and what distinguishes success from failure is often just another try. OK, one more. Some famous dead guy once said something to the effect of, most people don't realize how close to success they were when they quit.

Hope you have a merry Christmas.

#156     Dec 24, 2008