creation of the universe

Discussion in 'Politics' started by peilthetraveler, Jun 2, 2006.

who/how/what created the universe

1. God created the universe(earth) about 6000 years ago like the bible says

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. The universe was created with the big bang like the scientists say

10 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. The universe has always existed and there was no beginning

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. The universe doesnt exist, we are all figments of our own imaginations

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Ricter

Ricter

All statements about the universe are, more meaningfully imho, statements by the universe.

#21     Jun 11, 2006
  2. I agree. I'd wager that when a star winks out of this universe by falling into a gravity well and creating a black hole, that this simultaneously is the "big bang" of a new universe.

Imagine a water balloon made of extremely plyable material. Then shake the balloon and watch all the places where turbulance causes the balloon to distend by expansion and then contraction. This is three dimensional imagery. Now try to imagine it in four dimensions of space-time.

In local space there is friction and entropy which causes the balloon to eventually settle down in to a state of complete inertia. But, in the cosmic space there is no friction to slow the process of expansion and contraction of matter and energy escaping one universe to create another.

Point being that there could be this one cosmic sized space balloon that just keeps on oscillating in all manner of directions, with each universe separated by the inability of light/information to escape the singularity.

The final question, as always, is: What's outside the balloon?

The answer is the supernatural universe -- or perhaps nothing at all.

The notion of there being nothing at all out there and that the universe simply existed forever seems impossible to our dinky minds. But, once again, if the possibilities are limitless, then so are the answers, and what we view as impossible, may in fact, be true.

Or, maybe there's an old man with a beard out there somewhere who likes to make universes in his spare time.

I recommend a book by Robert Heinlein, "The Numbers of the Beast." He pretty much covers this territory by suggesting that any thought in one universe becomes reality in another. The thought creates the reality. In the novel, the hero invents a machine that can traverse these universes, and the results get "curiouser and curiouser."

Life is too short. I would like to explore this universe at some length, but I won't have time -- at least, not in this lifetime -- but, maybe in the next -- if one exists for me.

#22     Jun 11, 2006
  3. If you mean that since the universe is unknowable, then ultimately so is everything else, I agree.

What we know is relative to where we are in space-time. The further from our current frame of referece we travel, the less meaningful become our measurements taken from a different observation point.

Scientific knowlege is very likely extremely location specific. But, since we can't really travel to any place far away in a shortened time span to test the hypothesis, we can never know.

We need a means of exceeding the speed of light. Unless and until we find one, our knowledge of the universe will remain extremely attenuated.

#23     Jun 11, 2006
  4. Do you believe in numerous universe's, or one continuous oscillating universe, as some have suggested?

#24     Jun 11, 2006
  5. ... hrmmm.... "CREATED?"

Does a chicken create another chicken?

Was I created by my Mom and Dad?

Did I create my computer program????

This George Washington create the USA????

"CREATE" may not be the correct expression... though, I don't know what is...

#25     Jun 12, 2006
  6. But the universe is knowable to a significant degree--just not the ultimate degree.

There are certain things that are unknowable, but other things that are emininently knowable, to as great a degree as we have meaning for the term.

What if reality is like a cosmic Rubik's Cube, and it is our job, separately as individuals and collectively as civilization, to figure out the puzzle without peeking? What if certain particulars of the knowable / unknowable dilemma are actually clues to the solution?

Take an eastern mystic atom and a logical positivist atom, smash them together in a particle accelerator, and see what you get...

#26     Jun 12, 2006
  7. pattersb

pattersb Guest

someone pass the bong, so I can properly contribute to this discussion.

#27     Jun 12, 2006