Creating own trading system

Discussion in 'App Development' started by j2ee, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Spend the time and save the 1000 bucks... Only 269 at AMIBROKER... Don't start and language war... If you want that go to the "C" thread... They will entertain you well there...why not script the whole thing then instead of milling around someone else's code at that rate

#31     Apr 14, 2013
  2. hftvol

hftvol

Please, please do not spread around your unqualified poo poo. Nobody serious and in their right mind programs trading systems with scripting languages. Especially not when the same script gets internally translated into the same array manipulations you could have written easily yourself. If you are not qualified to write compiled code then maybe you should just take a step back and not inject yourself into every single programming related thread. Seriously, you already come across as a total know-nothing in Quant Finance Stack Exchange, and here you sound equally uneducated.

Nothing against Amibroker, but dude, take it for what it is, it is a charting and light profiling platform nothing more. Sure you can get somehow trades out the door with Amibroker, Nija or whatever other crap is out there, but would you really entrust your funding to a software application that cannot even run a reliable backtest on static data? Amibroker and others are optimized for working on static data (and as mentioned most even get that wrong) as well as monitoring real time data (of very light nature, most all those packages will badly drown if you throw at them more than 100 symbols or a faster data feed).

What they were surly not intended for is executions!!! No matter how their sales tries to convince you otherwise.

#32     Apr 14, 2013
  3. C++ is too slow and can not be used across the board. We found that development performance is more critical as is a stack that can be used on every place - from heavy visualization to the web front ends that are used to control the system. At the end the 10% or 20% performance gain of C++ can easily be countered by adding machines.

#33     Apr 14, 2013
  4. I appreciate how you take the time to give me the attention you do. As well you flattering comments about quant stack never gets old ;) I can actually do whatever I want so learn to enjoy it...
    I'm sure I could easily spark some more attention very easily with you which is great.. Let it rip......

#34     Apr 15, 2013
  5. j2ee

j2ee

You mean the the development timing is too slow for C++?

#35     Apr 15, 2013
  6. j2ee

j2ee

Why would you guys use web and visualization while you need the best performance? If we are talking about HFT level of intensive backtesting or trading, even how far from the exchange matters, web/visualization just doesn't match the demand.

#36     Apr 15, 2013
  7. hftvol

hftvol

good luck getting an answer for your very logical conclusion. I gave up to reason with most here because either they really lack logical reasoning skills or they make up bs with intent to start a debate.

For the sake of it, I agree entirely with you: The core should never run within a web service and never within an interpreted language environment (I added that) unless it is absolutely non time critical. Anything that is served over the web should be done through a segregated web interface that is getting data through a publisher or polls from the core engine.

#37     Apr 15, 2013
  8. colion

colion

Your characterization of Amibroker in particular is quite incorrect. It is equal or better than any program when it comes to speed and backtesting. The AFL language is powerful and can be learned by non-programmers with moderate effort. While good programmers can produce almost anything other users might find a more complete set of built-in analytical and graphic tools in other programs that satisfy their needs "out of the box" without any programming. As with any program, the only way to evaluate it is to take it out for a "drive" and then decide which one gets the job done and represents the best value. No comments on this or any other forum beats a "hands on" evaluation. Caveat emptor.

#38     Apr 15, 2013
  9. hftvol

hftvol

true regarding trying something provides more information to make an informed decision. But then I do not shoot heroin up my vein just to make an informed decision. I think I am informed enough to say that Amibroker or for that matter most retail off-the-shelf-products are not fit for serious systematic trading. I have had a copy of Amibroker a long while ago and I liked it and yes, it was very fast. I know the programmer and owner behind it and know he is an excellent C++ programmer.

#39     Apr 15, 2013
  10. j2ee

j2ee

Amibroker speed is not bad, but it is not fun to deal with the snytax. It is much easier and flexible to directly do it with tradelink C#. There is just no point to learn Amibroker snytax while it is so hard to find out to do so many things in the coding.

Even a very simple strategy with some programming logic, learning how to do it with Amibroker is a pain.

#40     Apr 15, 2013