Creating own trading system

Discussion in 'App Development' started by j2ee, Apr 5, 2013.

1. j2ee

j2ee

How about IB api +C# express 2012 + mysql + windows 7? I find out a page in internet that talk about this setup and it is totally free, sound like pretty good with both performance + development time.

#11     Apr 5, 2013
  2. most flexiable trading platform, use tradelink.org as your open source trading base, quantlib for oss pricing, that way you get started w/everything right away but still can customize later.

#12     Apr 9, 2013
  3. j2ee

j2ee

comparing with amibroker, how is this combination? What is quantlib library for and what is oss pricing?

#13     Apr 11, 2013
  4. ive done some pretty extensive research.. and talked in other threads with other long timer ETers .. Amibroker is very well thought of ,... i bought it.. most don't use it to auto trade i don't think.. idk though.. typically its a great optimzation and backtesting tool..

#14     Apr 11, 2013
  5. ddecker

ddecker

Not sure what you mean. The IB API supports C++, Java, and .NET languages via ActiveX. TWS is written in Java and runs on Windows/Mac/UNIX. Each of the API implementations is actually just a thin wrapper around a socket that communicates with TWS.

FYI, IB just announced they're moving the API source code to GitHub and allowing users to contribute to the code. They're beginning with the Java implementation, but I believe plan to move the others in due course.

Also, to get an informed answer your original question, it would be helpful to know what type of strategies you're actually planning to implement with the system, as this will dictate the performance requirements.

#15     Apr 11, 2013
  6. j2ee

j2ee

Cool, then what language do you use with IB? Java?

#16     Apr 12, 2013
  7. let me ask you this first hand.. what time frame are you trying to trade? coding your own platform doesn't exactly make sense in many cases.. if your not hft then why not use a platform that is open and known to be good.. and code up something within that platform..

#17     Apr 12, 2013
  8. j2ee

j2ee

You have very good point. So you mean I should use tradelink? How about amibroker? I don't have any personal connection with amibroker at all but I search around for pretty long time and look like amibroker is the most "open" paid one with lower price than others.

#18     Apr 13, 2013
  9. j2ee

j2ee

For open source or any free trading system, tradlink is the best right? Seem like no competitor close to its level.

#19     Apr 13, 2013
  10. ddecker

ddecker

Yes, but per my last point and cdcaveman's comment, building your own system should only be considered if pre-built / open-source systems don't fulfill your requirements, which you are yet to detail.

Language, platform, data source, broker etc. are all highly dependent on what you're trying to accomplish.

#20     Apr 13, 2013