Creating a group of REAL professional traders?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by OctopodeClub, Mar 30, 2017.

1. speedo

speedo

The problem wasn't the noob's, most of us don't mind helping people as we received help along the way. The problem was the bullshit and the social misfits.

#51     Apr 1, 2017
    JSOP and OctopodeClub like this.
  2. Lee-

Lee-

I get what your saying regarding the talking. I think Slack is better than Discord, except Discord's voice is better. Discord does have both text and voice channels, so voice is merely an easy option. Maybe you see a couple people in a voice channel outside of trading hours and you just want to bullshit. Perhaps some world event happens and people want to just talk about it. Anyway point is, its an option. With Slack it's not an option (at least not yet -- they claim to be adding more voice and video options, but I'll believe it when I see it).

Anyway was just throwing those 2 out there as they provide good interfaces for text (I prefer Slack on text, but Discord wins on voice), access controls, and you don't have to pay for them. Both Slack and Discord do file sharing/hosting as well.

#52     Apr 1, 2017
    OctopodeClub likes this.
  3. Hi Guys,

I read page 2 and then skipped to here because the thread is already very noisy so if I'm repeating something someone else said, I apologize.

Octo, Re: your question of vetting people to see if they trade or trade well, short of documents it's tough to know. I don't know if you necessarily want to exclude newcomers though... I trade well (sometimes) and have willingness to share because I want feedback. PM me and I'll share my last active trading results (2014) with you in the form of daily Tradestaion /RJO brokerage statements that correspond to the graphics I uploaded.

Setting up groups is not easy. In my experience, being clear at the start and having agreement between participants keeps things productive, honest, improves rapport and outcomes.

I have hosted and participated in many Trading Tribe(s) over the years since 2002. If you don't know what that is, google Ed Seykota of Market Wizard fame and his FAQ. Meetings are documented on FAQ (along with other content). It's not for everyone but it helped me in all areas of my life.

For the NYC Tribe(s) that I have hosted and when I have been part of Ed's Tribe, Tribe members apply by way of essays that disclose their objectives and intentions.

Many people don't really want to commit to a plan or code of conduct and drop off before it starts. Others just don't fit and drop off because it's work that they don't want to do...

I think having a clear stated objective agreed to by like minded/similarly intentioned people is the a good starting point.

I'd be happy to share my skype/slack handles if you want to chat or you can PM.
    This thread has inspired me to start a Journal too, I'll post that now.

Thank you,
    Alex

#53     Apr 1, 2017
    JefeTrader and OctopodeClub like this.
  4. Gotcha

Gotcha

Impressive results. Out of curiosity, why are you only showing stats for one month all the way back from 2014? How was 2016 been for you? And how about the last 3 months?

Also, it seems like much of your wins came from the last few days in April. Is this an anomaly?

#54     Apr 1, 2017
    mercurial likes this.
  5. Overnight

Overnight

I just wanted to mention here that I had the chance to speak with Octo yesterday afternoon in Skype for about an hour. I've been listening to people for a long time, and after listening to him speak I do not perceive any "deception" or BS. I sensed there was a constructive aloofness about him, and it could be a valuable springboard for a meaningful VOX-chat room outside of ET. I have not looked into "Slack", but I know that any basic chat-conferencing software has the ability to invite, reject, PW-protect, IP allow/ban etc to the point where vetting becomes just a matter of time given to people who join and listening to what they have to say.

I am thinking specifically of TeamSpeak in my head, and imagine many other simple conferencing software packages having similar abilities. It would not be a burden in the long run. But it would just take a few folks to want to participate, and a host. Since Octo brought it up, he'd be the most likely one to host it.

I would participate, as time allows.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    #55     Apr 1, 2017
  6. Alex, I think you hit it on the nose. I am not suggesting a real-time chat that will work for EVERYONE, but rather a few like-minded traders. After all, you can't please everyone.

Because the technical aspects of starting a group are not hard (opening a Slack or Discourse account might take me 5 minutes...), I will absolutely start a group. Now, the hard part will be setting the "rules and objectives" of the group.

#56     Apr 1, 2017
    mercurial likes this.
  7. Pekelo, you are absolutely correct! Because the technical aspects of starting a group are so low, I will just start the group - if only with a single other user.

Also a fabulous point of yours, I need to find a platform that will allow ignoring of others - because as you have stated, someone will inevitably not like someone else!

Lastly, I want to reiterate that one chat will not be the best fit for everyone. I am not aiming to create something that pleases everybody, and do not intend to create a 100+ member chat. Rather something small and personal that works for a small, like-minded group of people.

After all, it would be fantastic to find a collection of real-time chat groups created by communities with dissimilar goals and ideas (a group of newbies, a group for HFT's, a group for sharing strategies, etc).

My aim is to simply create one of those. It is encouraging to see so much feedback through here, which is why I believe ET is fantastic place to bounce off ideas such as these.

#57     Apr 1, 2017
  8. Yes, social misfits are annoying when it comes to trading chat rooms. So if you have a down time between signals do not waste it on chat rooms, but take advantage of it, like do some exercise, meditate, listen to music, catch up on your paper work, clean your desk etc.

Trading is a lonely journey to riches or the poor house. So make the best out of it!

#58     Apr 1, 2017
  9. speedo

speedo

:thumbsup:

#59     Apr 1, 2017
  10. yiehom

yiehom

Where do I sign ?

#60     Apr 1, 2017