Creating a group of REAL professional traders?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by OctopodeClub, Mar 30, 2017.

1. comagnum

comagnum

For me the trading is all about being completely self reliant - calling all my own shots. When I trade I am like the leopard, hunting alone - to me a chat room of live traders would be like hunting with a pack of Hyena's in tow. ET fits the build for me, when my trading is done I can unwind here with other traders and not have to hear their opinions on positions I am be in.

#21     Mar 31, 2017
  2. Handle123

Handle123

If you have twenty minutes between signals, you all can discuss fried chicken, but when scalping, last thing I want to hear is more noise or why I am taking a trade based off 2 tick charts. Then there are "vendors" disguise themselves waiting for someone to share and only to include in what they going to program and sell.

I like ET best, come and go, no one looking over my shoulder or asking ton of questions, whole point of being a trader for me is to get in and out without others knowing, don't want to compete against others.

Don't want to hear anyone's opinions, not part of my rules, and the ones who are decent, don't speak da language, they just waiting like the hidden vendors. Some of my biggest losses happened cause I listen to other people. pass.

#22     Mar 31, 2017
  3. JSOP

JSOP

You guys took the words right out of my mouth and couldn't agree with both of you more. I guess people like us are bound to be lonely. Oh well you know what they say, the path to extreme profit is a lonely path. :)

To lonely profitable trading and to discussing fried chicken on ET! :cool:

#23     Mar 31, 2017
  4. birzos

birzos

Yes, what you want to do is called the EU, and you can see what happens when the group is disparate, not having the same financial resources, not having the same motivations, not having the same knowledge levels, not wanting to progress on the same timelines ...

So you want to create the Monaco or Luxembourg of trading rooms, which means you need due diligence entry criteria, and given no one trusts anyone anymore it stops before it starts. Which is why there isn't much between public and cheap or closed and institutional.

I spoke to some fintech and funds about setting one up a year or so ago, then realized our input would be greater than our output so we kept it closed for prop, methodology, fund manager training where our output is greater than our input, return on investment and all that. If you want social go to a bar or something.

#24     Mar 31, 2017
    Simples and OctopodeClub like this.
  5. Lee-

Lee-

Skype is not so good. If you're not already familiar with Slack, check it out. If you basically want Slack with quick and easy option for high quality voice "rooms", check out Discord. Slack has voice, but you have to initiate a call (like on Skype) and honestly it's quality isn't very good and seems rather buggy. Discord has much better quality voice where you just join a voice channel and can talk to anyone who is there. No need to make calls like Slack or Skype. If you don't care about having ease of voice comm, then I recommend Slack.

Both Slack and Discord can have public channels as well as invite only / access controlled channels as well, so you could have a sort of public area and a pro only area if you wanted.

#25     Mar 31, 2017
    OctopodeClub likes this.
  6. I do agree with you, ET is nice but its not real time. Honestly, like you said, the last thing I want to talk about is more trading once the day is done. But during the day, if only to consume really slow moving period (like today), it would be nice to just converse with someone about... anything.

Thank you for your feedback!

#26     Mar 31, 2017
  7. This seems to be the main problem. To get around this the group could be open to anybody who is a full time trader (or claims to be), and then the group could decide to keep them or not after some period of time. Honestly, I can tell when someone isn't a real (full time) trader because;
    1. They don't understand anything your talking about
    2. They don't show up in room until 2pm EST (or don't show up at all, day in and day out)
    3. Or they talk crap about someone else's style
    I've been asked this a lot, "what would the purpose of the room be?". Let me ask you Birzos, what was the purpose that you were looking for out of your room a year ago?

#27     Mar 31, 2017
  8. I did get the chance speak to a user privately here that has a similar group, and says that he absolutely loves it. So it IS possible to create something similar.

What I am hearing is that most want support, and most definitely DON'T want to be teaching somebody else to trade - both things which I agree with 100%.

Lee, I think Slack would be best for something like this since I doubt anybody wants to be constantly talking (you don't constantly talk with coworkers when working...). Really, a private chat functionality with some categories (trading, fun, etc) would more than help I would think.

#28     Mar 31, 2017
    mercurial likes this.
  9. Overnight

Overnight

Indeed, I agree. I have been focusing exclusively on Crude and it gets frighteningly boring on some days. Like today! Typical Friday blah, a very slow 60-tic range all day long in May contract. *snooze* Hell, July has a bit more range than May. What's with that? lol

Anyways, if someone starts something up I'd be interested.

And yes, I am trying to be a "professional trader", as Octo defines it, which he/she defined as making a living by trading only.

#29     Mar 31, 2017
    OctopodeClub likes this.
  10. Now we would have TWO potential crude guys... look at that.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    #30     Mar 31, 2017