Creating a backup usb install for Windows 10 upgrade

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by oraclewizard77, Oct 24, 2015.

1. #81     May 25, 2018
  2. #82     May 25, 2018
  3. #83     May 25, 2018
  4. #84     May 25, 2018
  5. By the way, I found out Google now has a built in add blocker for Chrome so trying that for this computer.

#85     May 25, 2018
  6. Looks like Windows Defender now has ransomware protection so going to try it and uninstall Avasti.

#86     May 25, 2018
  7. Now looking on the Web, it looks like 1803 bricked many computers. I hope there is a class action lawsuit against Microsoft, since it is making me stress and taking multiple days to get everything back to how it was on my computer. I no longer trust Microsoft with future major updates.

#87     May 25, 2018
  8. Within Windows update I was able to get back to 1709. I then disabled Windows update and setup metering and disable Windows modules installer.

No more patches for the desktop. I will let the laptop continue to patch since Windows 10 came on it and it's mostly for just Internet.

I am extremely mad at Microsoft. Creating improvements for Windows 10 is useless if you don't spend the time to make sure that they don't break your computer. Installing patches is useless to fix bugs when the patches themselves are buggy.

Unless you have new computer with Windows 10 that you just use for e-mail and Internet, it's not worth patching past 1709. Seems like they want to fix things till they are broken. Maybe they need to make work for all the programmers that they employ since I don't pay for new versions of Windows.

I think they want to imitate Apple that updates their operating system for free to sell more Iphones and Imacs. However, the difference is that Apple controls all of the hardware so they are able to do a better job at this and have less conflicts since they know mostly what software is on their hardware.

It would be better to just fix bugs in Windows 10 and come out with a better version of Windows every 3 to 4 years that you test for a year before pushing it out. They don't do enough testing with these 2 per year so called improvements that no one really wants or needs.

#88     May 27, 2018
  9. In theory turning protected folder access on for Windows defenders seems good. The problem is that I have too many applications that need access to my folders.

What I think would be better would be for Microsoft to use a black list. The protected folder access would be on by default and when Microsoft finds or hears about a new threat, it just updates defender to block the folders from that threat rather than forcing the user to figure out what programs he has to manually white list. Or Microsoft needs a master white list that you can download. Either way the current setup does not work so I am leaving it off.

#89     May 28, 2018
  10. ph1l

ph1l

Before doing any Windows update, I use "Macrium Reflect Free" to backup my C: drive.
    The restores after updates with bad side effects have saved my computer more than once.

#90     May 30, 2018
    schweiz likes this.