Creating a backup usb install for Windows 10 upgrade

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by oraclewizard77, Oct 24, 2015.

1. After the last major updates, you can disable certain items in startup.

For example,

1) The IDT Audio Control Panel is not needed anymore since Windows 10 has replaced all your device drivers so they automatically start and sound still works. For some reason if sound does not work, just enable this item again.

2) iTunesHelper can also be disabled if you don't need iTunes to start when you plug in your iphone. Instead just manually start Itunes.

#71     Oct 11, 2017
  2. There seems to be a big issue now after the new patches with Telemetry. It uses both memory and CPU.

"Windows 10 includes a telemetry service that automatically sends diagnostic and usage data about your computer to Microsoft. These settings have caused a lot of controversy since Windows 10’s release, but what do they actually do?

Today, we’ll look at what kind of data this actually sends to Microsoft. You can select your desired telemetry level—or “diagnostic and usage data” level—from Settings > Privacy > Feedback & diagnostics. On the consumer editions of Windows 10, you can select either Basic or Full usage data that will be sent to Microsoft. Enterprise users can select the Security level instead.

The Creators Update simplified things, removing the Enhanced level and giving average Windows 10 users a choice between only Basic and Full usage data. Microsoft now offers a Privacy Dashboard website in an attempt to be more transparent, too."

However if you are like me and don't want to send this data to Microsoft plus you don't want to waste your Internet bandwidth, CPU, or memory doing it, then go ahead and disable it on all your computers to improve performance.

You can disable the scheduled tasks that starts CompatTelTunner.exe by looking in the Task Scheduler.
    Computer Management – System Tools – Task Schedule Library – Microsoft – Windows – Application Experience
    or
    Start - Run - taskschd.msc
    Name: Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser
    Collects program telemetry information if opted-in to the Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program.
    Right click on “Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser” and select “Disable” By default, it is set to start if there is ANY network connection.

#72     Oct 11, 2017
  3. Windows 10 wifi was slow again so I made the following changes. This information may also be transferred to a website since with a thread I can't allocate the info to different topics.

Anyway, I did the following:

1) I downloaded the free Wifi analyzer from the Windows 10 store. The benefit is it shows what channels your neighbors are on so you can pick a channel that has less interference. Don't choose the apps suggestion, instead test your own.

2) I changed the DNS settings on the wireless router to a better manual public settings. For some reason there was a 3rd section on the router instead of just 2 so I left that section blank.

3) I updated the router to the latest firmware which can fix the speed and provides better security patches.

This solved the problem. I should note for the those who want to follow these steps, to also make sure you have the latest hardware.

1) AC router and access points. You can upgrade your your laptop and desktop using a usb connection one. For the desktop also, get one with an antenna.

2) Docsis 3.0 modem, and get your own so you don't have to keep paying the cable company to rent one.

#73     Nov 2, 2017
  4. nkhoi

nkhoi

#74     Nov 23, 2017
  5. To speed up browsing on Waterfox which I use and also probably Firefox, go to options then General. Under startup, check Enable multi-process.

#75     Dec 27, 2017
  6. To both speed up the ability to read e-mail messages and prevent e-mail trackers for free e-mail accounts:

"However, there is an easy way to avoid being tracked. Email trackers, like HubSpot’s tracker for sales people, work by embedding a tiny 1×1 image — just a pixel — into an email. When the email is opened, the email client loads the image and the tracker notices and sends a notification.

Getting around this is very simple. You just stop photos from automatically loading." data-reactid="56">Getting around this is very simple. You just stop photos from automatically loading.

To turn them off in Gmail, simply go to Settings → General, and the fourth item allows you to toggle off automatic image loading. When off, you will be asked if you want images to load. If you know a person won’t track you or don’t care, you can allow images to always load for that individual email address." data-reactid="57">To turn them off in Gmail, simply go to Settings → General, and the fourth item allows you to toggle off automatic image loading. When off, you will be asked if you want images to load. If you know a person won’t track you or don’t care, you can allow images to always load for that individual email address.

In Yahoo mail, you can access this setting in Settings → Security. Most email clients make it easy to do this. " data-reactid="58">In Yahoo mail, you can access this setting in Settings → Security. Most email clients make it easy to do this.

Testing this simple workaround with a HubSpot’s widely-used email tracker worked well, and is a simple way to get some privacy back and get out of uncomfortable situations." data-reactid="59">Testing this simple workaround with a HubSpot’s widely-used email tracker worked well, and is a simple way to get some privacy back and get out of uncomfortable situations." -- Ethan Wolff-Mann

Note: After trying this fix, I noticed that I am able both preview and read all my e-mails faster since the images no longer load. I have also found that for most messages I don't miss or need to see the images. On Gmail, the author forget to mention, you also need to scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on save changes or when u exit, the settings revert back to default.

#76     Jan 7, 2018
  7. The following will force WaterFox and FireFox to use Multi-Process. I did it on my system and it worked.

1. Go to about:config using Firefox’s address bar.
    2. Click I accept the risk! when the warning message is displayed (if it does).
    3. Now, search for the term browser.tabs.remote.autostart in the search. Please pay attention while typing the Preference name or you’ll end up doing something else.
      [​IMG]
    4. Double-click the option to set it to True and enable e10S.
      [​IMG]To disable e10S set the value to False again.
    Force-enable Multiprocess in Firefox
    You can verify if the process has been successful or not by revisiting the about:support page. There might be chances that multiprocess didn’t turn on because of incompatible add-ons. The about:support page would list the cause why e10s is disabled. If that’s the case, you can force Firefox to allow electrolysis.

1. Go to about:config in Firefox.
    2. Right-click > New > Boolean.
      [​IMG]
    3. Type the following in the name field:
      browser.tabs.remote.force-enable
    4. Click Ok.
      [​IMG]
    5. Set the value to True.
    6. Now, you have to prevent incompatible add-ons from stopping electrolysis. Search for:
      extensions.e10sMultiBlockedByAddons
    7. Set the preference to False by double-clicking on the entry.
    The about:support will display Multiprocess Windows status as “Enabled by user’ when you force it.

[​IMG]

Please note that there are risks associated with force-enabling multiprocess and Mozilla warns about the same in their wiki. Also, the multiprocess didn’t turn off in my case when I set the value to False.

Increase the number of content processes for Electrolysis
    Firefox supports up to 7 content processes, but only four are enabled by default in Firefox 54. You can change the number by searching for dom.ipc.processCount on the about:config page.

[​IMG]

The process count was initially set to one. Double-click the dom.ipc.processCount preference to edit its value. Set the process count to four or above. Later versions of Firefox will include an option to the same.

Aditya Tiwari discovered this hack.

#77     Jan 11, 2018
  8. Also note that I changed from Adblock plus to uBlock Origin since Adblock was causing Waterfox and Firefox to slow down for me.

#78     Jan 11, 2018
    EddyJones likes this.
  9. I recently was getting a core out of memory error and my application would crash.

After some research. I 1st changed the performance of Waterfox to use just 2 content process limits under use hardware acceleration since it seems the more you use the more memory Waterfox and FireFox take up.

I then updated my Nvidia drivers. I did custom since I don't need 3d drivers since I don't have 3-d glasses and I don't need HD audio since my audio is not plugged into the graphics card.

Finally, I changed my virtual memory under performance to custom size. I thought I did this previously, but maybe a major Windows update changed it back to let Windows manage. I set virtual memory to 2x my RAM.

#79     Mar 31, 2018
  10. upgrade to Win 10, ver 1803 worked on my newer laptop that came with Windows 10 but did not work my Windows 7 desktop that I previously upgraded to Windows 10.

It broke the computer, and with Microsoft's help, I had to do a full Custom Install of Windows 10 and lost all my applications, but was able to find my data in Windows old on C drive. Microsoft said this is a know problem, but I did not know about it or I would not have tried installing the update.

My suggestion is if you have an older Windows 7 or 8 machine that you upgraded to Windows 10, do NOT install 1803 and turn off Windows updates to prevent any more updates being installed. If they fix this problem and you are made aware of this fix and you still want more updates, it's your choice going forward, but I may not install new updates on my older machines anymore.

#80     May 25, 2018