crazy republicans: Conception From Rape ‘Is Something That God Intended’

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Oct 24, 2012.

1. do you really want people like this in places of power over you?
    ---------------------------------------

Indiana Treasurer Richard Mourdock became the latest Republican to wander into eyebrow-raising territory when it came to the discussion of rape and abortion during a Senate debate Tuesday night.

Defending his stance that abortion should be illegal even in the case of rape, Mourdock explained that pregnancy resulting from nonconsensual sex is the will of God.

“I’ve struggled with it myself for a long time, but I came to realize that life is that gift from God,” Mourdock said. “And even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen.”
    http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/10/richard-mourdock-rape-conception-god-intended.php

2. Ricter

Ricter

I just saw this, too. These pointy head righties are harming their party's future, the general public is not going to put up with this indefinitely.

3. Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers. Why are we still discussing abortion? As Romney said there isn't any legislation pending re abortion.

4. Ricter

Ricter

"Defending his stance that abortion should be illegal even in the case of rape,"

He shouldn't be asked about that stance?

5. do you know enough about government works to understand that the president does not control what legislation gets to his desk?

6. No time soon will he be getting an abortion. Ditto on influencing whether any woman asks for his opinion on whether she should get an abortion. frankly I don't care what his opinion is, he is not going to be arguing row vs wade anytime soon. So what is the point????/

7. Ricter

Ricter

You're right, single-handedly he can't do much. But his opinions drive his decision making, and his office gives his decision making leverage. It's "crazy creep".

8. actually the guy is right. if there were an all powerful god rape would be "Something That God Intended’ .
    it is exactly the same as the fact that if a disaster happens that kills billions of people god wanted it to happen. if gods priests rape little boys right behind the alter. god wanted it to happen.
    logically you cant have the power to stop something, refuse to use it, and still claim you didnt want it to happen.

9. This is where the true believers get in to trouble. They will say that nothing, absolutly nothing happens in God's world by accident. In that case, what he said is his truth. A truth that just doesn't make any sense. If you're going to believe that it's all being controlled by God, then you have to buy the whole enchilada. Evidently he does. Tough to do, and even tougher to say without sounding like a complete lunatic.
    Something I've struggled to come to terms with myself over many years. The struggle continues because it's just too easy to blow it all off as some cosmic accident. That's the lazy way out.

10. it only does not make sense if you believe their is a loving god up in the sky.
    if there is no god it makes perfect sense. the only hard part is having to courage to let your mind go in the way that makes sense. most people cant do it.

that explains the excess of Cognitive dissonance among believers as a coping mechanism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

#10     Oct 24, 2012