Crazy Environmentalists Protest Wind Turbines

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Max E., Mar 14, 2012.

1. Max E.

Max E.

LOL, these guys are so funny.... :D

I guess its not good enough for these people that we waste all this money on this Green Energy that is still to expensive, and not economically viable, they want to take us all the way back to the 1800's with human beings plowing the fields. (these people would never allow us to use animals for that)

The funny thing is that id be willing to bet they all have their IPads, and various other gadgets which wouldnt be possible to produce if they got their way, and you can bet your ass not a single one of them has ever put in a tough days work on a farm before, nor would they be willing to if they got their way, so basically they believe the world should run on Pixie dust.

Anti-Occupy Protest Takes on Bird Killing Wind Turbines

An anti-Occupy Wall Street movement (who call themselves "Occupy Occupy D.C.") protested bird killing wind turbines today at Freedom Plaza in Washington, D.C. The group gathered "to highlight the threat that wind, a celebrated alternative energy source, poses to the American bird community," according to a press release sent out by the National Center for Public Policy Research, which sponsors Occupy Occupy D.C.

The target of today's protest are environmentalists who believe wind energy is a viable substitute to other forms of energy, such as coal or nuclear energy.

The National Center for Public Policy Research "estimate that wind turbines kill approximately 100,000 birds every year. The American Bird Conservancy claims the number could be triple that estimate -- affecting the songbird community most of all."

That's why the environmentalists' approach is wrong, according to today's protesters.

"If I was a bird, I'd be an angry bird right now," executive director David Almasi says in the statement announcing today's protest. "Countless innocent birds that only want to be with their eggs die every year from crashing into wind turbines. The environmentalists who promote wind energy at the expense of the birds are green pigs!"

[​IMG]

Bonner Cohen, a senior fellow at the think tank, says, "At some point the slaughter of birds and bats by taxpayer-subsidized wind turbines is going to trigger serious legal action. ... If the full force of the Migratory Bird Treaty and the Endangered Species Act were brought to bear on these unsightly killing machines, investors would turn their backs on this artificial industry in a heartbeat."

[​IMG]

2. Lucrum

Lucrum

Geeze, whatever you do don't tell these idiots how many animals die on our nations roads and highways EVERY day.

(20 + years ago it was estimated at 1,000,000)

3. Well, they do have a point.

If the oil industry was killing that many birds, there'd be heck to pay.

4. Max E.

Max E.

WOW, I never even thought of that one, i wonder what their solution to that problem would be, maybe we can all travel in underground tunnels..... oh wait, then we might harm some of the worms.....

I think the only viable option left in the minds of one of these nuts is to simply take our own lives, just to make sure we cant negatively impact the life of anything else on the earth....

5. BSAM

BSAM

I'm an environmentalist.
    How could you not be?

6. pspr

pspr

Geez - the ultimate conundrum for environmentalists. Do they want non-fossil fuel energy or do they want birds not to be killed by the thousands? What to do, what to do!!! :D

Lucrum, don't mention road kill. We'll all be walking if Obama and his little greenies start thinking about that.

BTW, I killed some ants and some weeds today. I hope the greenies don't hear about it and start protesting out front.

7. BSAM

BSAM

Seems like we have 95% extremists on ET.
    My fellow posters on the right want to destroy the earth.
    My fellow posters on the left want to walk everywhere.

8. mgrund

mgrund

Left wingers,next minute they will be moaning about fishing and how it hurts the fish mouth.
    I agree wind turbines should be banned ( ugly looking things) all energy should be created by Nuchlear means.

9. BSAM

BSAM

Nukes should be banned from earth.

10. Gotta love how this article, from a righty website and paper, which the OP conveniently left out, tries to tie the OWS movement to this bit of lunacy. How many people were involved? Looks like one.

As far as the windmills and birds, it's not a big problem....

Possibly the greatest indicator that wind turbines are not, in fact, bird-o-matics, is the growing number of endorsements by bird conservation groups. The American Bird Conservancy supports wind power with the caveat that bird-friendly placement and design be primary factors in construction [source: ABC]. The Wisconsin Bird Initiative states that wind turbines have a "low impact" on avian mortality compared to window glass and communication towers [source: WBCI]. And in 2006, the Audubon Society gave its figurative seal of approval to the American Wind Energy Association. The president of the national organization is quoted by Renewable Energy World as stating, "When you look at a wind turbine, you can find the bird carcasses and count them. With a coal-fired power plant, you can't count the carcasses, but it's going to kill a lot more birds" [source: REW].

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/green-science/wind-turbine-kill-birds2.htm

#10     Mar 14, 2012