Crazy drop today. Loaded up on NVDA

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by BlacknBlue, May 19, 2020.

1. Cuddles

Cuddles

intc was the play today

#21     May 20, 2020
  2. vanzandt

vanzandt

You're basing a long trade on NVDA based on inventory levels at the consumer level?

Kudos to you on the Lynchian spirit, but you really need to listen to a few past conference calls.
    People buying new desktops is not an impetus for moving this stock.

#22     May 20, 2020
  3. What conference calls are you referring to with what specific comments relating to nvda... Not sure how you expect one to respond to a blanket statement.

If stores are backlogged on common gpu's and consumers are forced to buy the upgraded versions of a similar GPU then this should be an indicator that manufacturers still can't keep up with the demand of the product which should result in better than expected earnings........ If selling more products don't move stocks then I don't know what does lol.

#23     May 20, 2020
  4. vanzandt

vanzandt

Because consumer products are a very small percentage of their top-line.
    From their latest report:

Our Businesses
    Our two reportable segments - GPU and Tegra Processor - are based on a single underlying architecture. Our GPU product brands are aimed at specialized markets including GeForce for gamers; Quadro for designers; Tesla and DGX for AI data scientists and big data researchers; and GRID for cloud-based visual computing users. Our Tegra brand integrates an entire computer onto a single chip, and incorporates GPUs and multi-core CPUs to drive supercomputing for autonomous robots, drones, and cars, as well as for game consoles and mobile gaming and entertainment devices.

GPU

GeForce NOW for cloud-based gaming

Quadro for design professionals working in computer-aided design, video editing, special effects, and other creative applications

Tesla for AI utilizing deep learning and accelerated computing, leveraging the parallel computing capabilities of GPUs for general purpose computing

GRID to provide the power of NVIDIA graphics through the cloud and data centers

DGX for AI scientists, researchers and developers

EGX for accelerated AI computing at the edge

Tegra Processor

Tegra processors are primarily designed to enable branded platforms - AGX and SHIELD

SHIELD devices and services designed to harness the power of mobile-cloud to revolutionize home entertainment, AI and gaming

AGX is a power-efficient AI computing platform for intelligent edge devices, including:

- DRIVE AGX for self-driving vehicles

- Clara AGX for medical instruments

- Jetson AGX for robotics and other embedded use

I mean no disrespect, but your observation, while it may be 100% spot on, is synonymous to saying buy Proctor and Gamble because all the stores I go into are sold out of Vicks cough-drops.

#24     May 20, 2020
  5. I don't know what you're talking about. GPU's represent ~76% of their revenue and consumer grade GPU's bring in ~47% of their total revenue. It's literally their largest segment.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    #25     May 20, 2020
  6. Summary: Gaming segment up 25% year over year. Work from home, learn at home, and gaming drove a surge in e-tail demand. Earnings ended up 6.5% higher than estimates.

#26     May 21, 2020
  7. never2old

never2old

are you holding or did you sell, if sold what was your net % profit

#27     May 21, 2020
  8. Holding and expecting a gap up to $360-$362. If the market is weak in the morning I'll just need to get rid of it at whatever. I'll need to close the position into the long weekend regardless.

#28     May 21, 2020
    Cuddles likes this.
  9. Amun Ra

Amun Ra

Pretty flat after hours. I don't see a gap up happening. What I see happening is all the people like you that bought waiting to go into earnings, rushing to hit the exit(like you plan to tomorrow).

#29     May 21, 2020
    BlacknBlue likes this.
  10. I believe this could be likely after watching after hours. The stock got too hot too fast past few weeks. Had to try!

#30     May 21, 2020
    Amun Ra likes this.