crazy christians: you are anti god if you are not racist:

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Oct 7, 2011.

1. thinking christians will tell you the same thing:

Actually, I find no conflict here, and neither apparently do the 40 percent of working scientists who claim to be believers. Yes, evolution by descent from a common ancestor is clearly true. If there was any lingering doubt about the evidence from the fossil record, the study of DNA provides the strongest possible proof of our relatedness to all other living things. By Dr. Francis Collins
    Francis S. Collins, M.D., Ph.D., is the director of the Human Genome Project. His most recent book is "The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief." http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/03/collins.commentary/index.html

We the undersigned, Christian clergy from many different traditions, believe that the timeless truths of the Bible and the discoveries of modern science may comfortably coexist. We believe that the theory of evolution is a foundational scientific truth, one that has stood up to rigorous scrutiny and upon which much of human knowledge and achievement rests. To reject this truth or to treat it as “one theory among others” is to deliberately embrace scientific ignorance and transmit such ignorance to our children.
    Christian Clergy Letter
    (12,762 signatures as of 11/03/11)
    http://theclergyletterproject.org/Christian_Clergy/ChrClergyLtr.htm

#11     Nov 6, 2011
  2. Lucrum

Lucrum

:D Too funny.

#12     Nov 6, 2011
  3. jem

jem

1. no thinker just quoted robin collins....
    is he a quotable human genome director or is he what you said he was a few days ago.

Quote from Free Thinker:

you just did it again. you quoted a philosopher to explain science. and a religious one at that:

Robin Collins is an American philosopher. He currently serves as Professor of Philosophy at Messiah College in Grantham, Pennsylvania. His main interests include issues in science and religion and theories of atonement.

2. Robin Collins gives 5 reasons for rejecting it, for the purpose of this post I’ll share just one. As a general rule, all else being equal, we should prefer theories for which we have independent proofs, and we have independent reasons for believing God exists. Here’s his illustration:

Most of us take the existence of dinosaur bones to count as very strong evidence that dinosaurs existed in the past. But suppose a dinosaur skeptic claimed that she could explain the bones by postulating a “dinosaur-bone-producing-field” that simply materialized the bones out of thin air. Moreover, suppose further that, to avoid objections such as that there are no known physical laws that would allow for such a mechanism, the dinosaur skeptic simply postulated that we have not yet discovered these laws or detected these fields. Surely, none of us would let this skeptical hypothesis deter us from inferring to the existence of dinosaurs. Why? Because although no one has directly observed dinosaurs, we do have experience of other animals leaving behind fossilized remains, and thus the dinosaur explanation is a natural extrapolation from our common experience. In contrast, to explain the dinosaur bones, the dinosaur skeptic has invented a set of physical laws, and a set of mechanisms that are not a natural extrapolation from anything we know or experience.

In the case of the fine-tuning, we already know that minds often produce fine-tuned devices, such as Swiss watches. Postulating God–a supermind–as the explanation of the fine-tuning, therefore, is a natural extrapolation from of what we already observe minds to do. In contrast, it is difficult to see how the atheistic many-universes hypothesis could be considered a natural extrapolation from what we observe.

So it would seem that chance and necessity are rather implausible in comparison to a super-intelligent Designer. Like with Leibniz’s cosmological argument, this doesn’t prove with 100% certainty that God exists, but I think it’s a rather strong argument.

http://thegospeloferik.wordpress.com/tag/robin-collins/

#13     Nov 6, 2011
  4. too much grape juice today?

#14     Nov 6, 2011
  5. jem

jem

1. I do not drink grape juice when I go to church
    2. You know damn well that there is no proof of life evolving from non life... I just schooled you on that in another thread.

the only problem with that quote you have is that he does not think we evolved from monkeys.

And based on recent fossils it seems that we did not descend from monkeys. something else perhaps but not monkeys.

#15     Nov 6, 2011