Crazy Christians: Vatican calls for world central bank(couldnt resist thread title)

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Max E., Oct 24, 2011.

1. Max E.

Max E.

Had a good chuckle when i read this article. The vatican is complaining about banks being outdated, and thinks that the idea of a global central bank would somehow please the OWS protesters. Apparently they havent watched all the conspiracy videos that the OWS protesters have about the fed, and the "Evil zionist jews"(sarcasm) who control the banking system and are behind every single evil thing that has ever happened. A global central bank would surely have the entire world rioting within a few months.

Please Forgive me if i dont give alot of credibility to the opinion of a bunch of guys living in 16th century who think they know how to run the 21st century banking system.

Vatican calls for global authority on economy, raps “idolatry of the market”

The Vatican called on Monday for the establishment of a “global public authority” and a “central world bank” to rule over financial institutions that have become outdated and often ineffective in dealing fairly with crises. The document from the Vatican’s Justice and Peace department should please the “Occupy Wall Street” demonstrators and similar movements around the world who have protested against the economic downturn.

“Towards Reforming the International Financial and Monetary Systems in the Context of a Global Public Authority,” was at times very specific, calling, for example, for taxation measures on financial transactions. “The economic and financial crisis which the world is going through calls everyone, individuals and peoples, to examine in depth the principles and the cultural and moral values at the basis of social coexistence,” it said.

It condemned what it called “the idolatry of the market” as well as a “neo-liberal thinking” that it said looked exclusively at technical solutions to economic problems. “In fact, the crisis has revealed behaviours like selfishness, collective greed and hoarding of goods on a great scale,” it said, adding that world economics needed an “ethic of solidarity” among rich and poor nations.

“If no solutions are found to the various forms of injustice, the negative effects that will follow on the social, political and economic level will be destined to create a climate of growing hostility and even violence, and ultimately undermine the very foundations of democratic institutions, even the ones considered most solid,” it said.

It called for the establishment of “a supranational authority” with worldwide scope and “universal jurisdiction” to guide economic policies and decisions.

Asked at a news conference if the document could become a manifesto for the movement of the “indignant ones”, who have criticised global economic policies, Cardinal Peter Turkson, head of the Vatican’s Justice and Peace department, said: “The people on Wall Street need to sit down and go through a process of discernment and see whether their role managing the finances of the world is actually serving the interests of humanity and the common good. “We are calling for all these bodies and organisations to sit down and do a little bit of re-thinking.”

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/10/24/vatican-economy-idUKL5E7LO1LS20111024

2. pspr

pspr

I was a bit perplexed by the statement out of the Vatican, too. However, it was the Vatican that played an important roll in helping Ronald Reagan defeat the Soviets in the "cold war". So, I wouldn't just dismiss off hand any statements they make. If there is any group in the world that God provides guidance to I suspect it would be the Vatican.

3. Max E.

Max E.

I couldnt care less if it was the vatican or anyone else who proposed it, it is a horrible idea. The whole world is angry at the banks and their idea was to create a new central bank that would have even greater power. The whole world would be going up in smoke within a matter of months if that idea gained any traction. It just shows that they are out of touch with what is going on right now imho.

4. Max E.

Max E.

My thread has been rated 1 star I feel so dirty...... :D