crazy christians:Secretary At Cumberland Church Fired Over Interracial Marriage

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Dec 16, 2011.

1. i started another thread about christian racism but predictably the apologists screamed that i found an isolated event that seldom happens. turns out its more common than you think:

Debra Dodd Fired: Former Secretary At Cumberland Presbyterian Church Says Interracial Marriage Got Her Fired
    FAYETTEVILLE, Tenn. (RNS) A white church secretary is suing her former employer, arguing that she was fired for marrying a black man.

Debra Dodd, the former secretary at the Cumberland Presbyterian Church in Fayetteville, Tenn., and the Rev. Tim Smith, pastor of the church, agree on one thing: Most of the members of that congregation are great people.

But from there, their stories diverge.

Dodd has filed a lawsuit for back wages and $500,000 in punitive damages against the church after she was fired for what she says is racial discrimination.

Dodd said the all-white church first embraced her during her two years as secretary -- and then suddenly shunned and subsequently fired her on May 26 after they learned she had married a black man in April.

Smith said Dodd's marriage is unrelated to her firing, but also said his lawyer has directed him not to discuss particulars.

"In this congregation, I work with some of the most loving people in the city," Smith said. "I can't comment on the lawsuit, but there is more to this story."

Dodd said the church initially "treated me like family," but that changed after three church leaders saw Dodd and her then-fiance, Michael Hampton, eating together at a Fayetteville restaurant.

"Then suddenly it went downhill. All of the sudden my clothes were not appropriate, I was not doing my job right. People stopped looking at me. They would turn their faces away from me. When my husband and a friend of his visited one week when I sang, there were comments about the 'colored boys in the back.'"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/15/debra-dodd-fired_n_1152356.html?ref=religion

2. You started another thread because you continue the avoid, detract, derail, distract, attack, hijack and RUN tactic that is popular. Popularity does not determine goodness, not that many years ago it was popular to kill certain races and other categories of people. That is not goodness, and many people abused and misused scripture to fit their murdering needs. This still happens, and you paint everyone with the same brush.

The isolated event is not as you characterize it. Also, we can see more proof of your brain warping information to fit your belief system RATHER than objectively accepting information and changing your belief system to be based on that. The issue is that ISOLATED people who call themselves christians DO NOT act like real, true christians would act.

Then you take this OUT OF CONTEXT example, and paint everyone with the same brush. What group do YOU belong to? If someone in your group committed murder would that make your whole group bad?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!??

Wakey wakey! You must have gone through some terrible education to be so inarticulate, so unreasonable, so unable to defend your position or to accept a new one if proven wrong. Sigh, it's sad, but your loss in the end. You can change it anytime though.

3. i have asked you this several times already but all you respond with is idiotic babbling but here goes again.
    how do you tell a real christian from a false one?

4. He can't answer the question..... a real christian for him is someone who keeps topping up the collection plate.

5. but he claims to be a biblical scholar who has studied scripture and found irrefutable proof that the bible was written by god.

6. LOL.

You do this on purpose right? I've repeated to you outright and very clearly that I am the exact opposite of this. On both counts. I've said it probably 10 or more times. You've made this up before and I've asked you to show me where I said that. You never did ... because I never did! You do this on purpose. Sigh. Oh well. At least a mature reader can judge your comments in light of what you keep proving about yourself. If you were running for president I could see many Rick Perry moments in your campaign.

Do you like proving you are just here to manipulate and avoid any honest, decent conversation? Keep it up. I don't mind point it out when you do it.

I believe last time I asked you if you were sincere and you said that was more "babbling". Really ... it seems like any answer that you don't like is just called babbling. I guess you are the king who still shoots the messenger and thinks he's smartiest smarty in the room, while other people are horrified, appalled, etc. I bet you can't even see the connection I'm making and are too embarrassed to ask.

7. Mercor

Mercor

You have a huge gaping spiritual hole inside you.

I have never seen such consistence hatred and disdain for people who believe in readings from a 2000 year old book.

8. so we are trying to educate people like you who believe what was written 2000 years ago by ignorant sheep herders. is that a sin?

actually yes it is. the one thing the bible never praises is intelligence.

"Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of
    spiritual things, but -- more frequently than not -- struggles against the
    divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God."
    father of modern Protestant christianity, Martin Luther

9. Crispy

Crispy

Your obsession about radical christians is as unhealthy as being one.

10. i have a mission from god. besides that its amusing.

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintellig_ible propositio_ns. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; ."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

#10     Dec 20, 2011