crazy christians:Interracial Couples Banned From Kentucky Church

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Dec 2, 2011.

1. You find as you look around the world that every single bit of progress in humane feeling, every improvement in the criminal law, every step toward the diminution of war, every step toward better treatment of the colored races, or every mitigation of slavery, every moral progress that there has been in the world, has been consistently opposed by the organized churches of the world. I say quite deliberately that the Christian religion, as organized in its churches, has been and still is the principal enemy of moral progress in the world.”
    — Bertrand Russell, Why I am Not a Christian, 1927
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

Interracial Couple Banned From Kentucky Church
    In a move to "promote greater unity" among its body and the Pike County community it serves, a small Kentucky church voted to ban interracial couples from membership and from participating in certain worship activities, Kentucky.com reports.

Though reminiscent of some Jim Crow-era mandate, the Gulnare Freewill Baptist Church actually made the decision earlier this month, following a visit from 24-year-old Stella Harville, daughter of the church's secretary and clerk, and her 29-year-old fiance, Ticha Chikuni, a native of Zimbabwe.

According to Harville's father, Dean Harville, Stella brought Chikuni to the church in June where they performed a song for the congregation.

Following the visit, former pastor Melvin Thompson told Harville that his daughter and her fiance could not sing at the church again. Thompson later proposed that the church go on record saying that while all people were welcome to attend public worship services there, the church did not condone interracial marriage.

His proposal, which was accepted by a 9-6 vote last week, also suggested that married interracial couples be prohibited from becoming members and used in worship activities, except for funerals.

"It's not the spirit of the community in any way, shape or form," said Randy Johnson, president of the Pike County Ministerial Association, according to Kentucky.com.

While Pike County and the surrounding community come to grips with the church's decision, researchers at Ohio State University and Cornell University say black-white marriages in the United States are soaring, increasing threefold, from 3 percent in 1980 to 10.7 percent in 2008.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...hurch_n_1121582.html?ref=religion&ir=Religion

2. jem

jem

crazy atheist disclaimer: which will appear on these threads going forward. The starter of this thread was once a fundamentalist. He is now a fundamentalist troll.

3. jem

jem

here is another quote by Bertrand Russell

Unless you assume a God,the question of life's purpose is meaningless - Bertrand Russell (great atheist)

4. this quote seems to fit jem what jem is trying to accomplish:

A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.". ( Bertrand Russell,

5. jem

jem

Here is a another...

a stupid man knows not the difference between a report and a quote.

6. Mercor

Mercor

In western Europe and the Americas abolitionism was a movement to end the slave trade and set slaves free. At the behest of Dominican priest Bartolomé de las Casas who was shocked at the treatment of natives in the New World, Spain enacted the first European law abolishing colonial slavery in 1542, although it was not to last (to 1545). In the 17th century, Quaker and evangelical religious groups condemned it as un-Christian; in the 18th century, rationalist thinkers of the Enlightenment criticized it for violating the rights of man.

Correct me if i am wrong, Rev. MLK was a religious man. The whole civil rights movement in the 50's and 60's was based out of Southern churches.

A secular society would have nothing wrong with slavery as long as it made financial sense. Its Darwinism, no need for morality.

7. Lucrum

Lucrum

Absolutely

8. I assume a God, but organized religion, in all of it's forms, has failed to know God's true nature.

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."~Gandhi

This would be a perfect example of why Gandhi's condemnation of Christians was correct...do you think Jesus cares if a black dude and a white chick want to sing in church?

9. researchers at Ohio State University and Cornell University say black-white marriages in the United States are soaring, increasing threefold, from 3 percent in 1980 to 10.7 percent in 2008.

---------------------

White girls marry black men? If it were different I'm sure the survey would say so.

Not to be partial to any particular race but any white dudes marry Arab women? Never seen it.

10. You should get out more.

#10     Dec 2, 2011