crazy christians:'Harry Potter and yoga are evil', says Catholic Church

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Free Thinker, Nov 29, 2011.

1. so anything a preacher says should just get a pass? how about when they say blacks should not marry white women. would that be going too far?

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintellig_ible propositio_ns. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabr_a of the mountebank_s calling themselves the priests of Jesus."
    -- Thomas Jefferson,

#31     Dec 5, 2011
  2. rew

rew

I would say that a black man who wants to marry a white woman should find a more congenial congregation. Problem solved.

#32     Dec 5, 2011
  3. so racism is fine with you? the black guy should just move on to where they accept him?

#33     Dec 5, 2011
  4. rew

rew

"Racist" is just a word, it has roughly the same meaning as "witch" in the Middle Ages. It's purpose is to smear the target as a nonperson, suitable for persecution. The following things are racist today:

1. Being against racial discrimination in admissions and hiring (advocates of affirmative action tell me so).

2. Being in favor of tracking students by academic ability in schools (inevitably the advanced courses are overwhelmingly white and Asian, with insufficient numbers of blacks and Hispanics, and all such disparate outcomes are racist).

3. Being against illegal immigration and in favor of enforcing immigration law (La Raza and the SPLC tell me so).

4. Being a white Republican who opposes Obama's policies (Chris Matthews tells me so).

So when somebody cries out "Racist!" today all I know for certain is that somebody is looking for a witch to burn.

Now I disagree with that preacher who is against miscegenation. But sheesh, if he wants to believe what he believes, and live his life that way, the rest of us can just ignore him and lead our lives our way. Unlike the doctrinaire left, I don't insist that everyone think the same way.

#34     Dec 5, 2011
  5. lets dig deeper. i am just trying to determine how deeply racism is ingrained into your thinking.
    this preacher and the congregation who voted to ban a black guy from their church probably have businesses in that town. if the black guy wants a job at one of those businesses should they just be able to tell him to move on to someplace where they accept him?

#35     Dec 5, 2011
  6. rew

rew

Start your own business in that town and hire the man.

Problem solved.

#36     Dec 5, 2011
  7. so you believe everyone should have the right not to hire based on skin color?

#37     Dec 5, 2011
  8. rew

rew

I believe that anybody who starts a business should be the one who decides whom to hire for that business.

It appears that you don't want to start a business and hire that black man. So you are condemning others for not doing what you don't want to do yourself.

#38     Dec 5, 2011
  9. i think you have said enough to pretty conclusively prove that the following statement is true. if you religious types could get away with it you would take us right back to separate water fountians. the only thing stopping you is the law and people like me calling you out.

You find as you look around the world that every single bit of progress in humane feeling, every improvement in the criminal law, every step toward the diminution of war, every step toward better treatment of the colored races, or every mitigation of slavery, every moral progress that there has been in the world, has been consistently opposed by the organized churches of the world. I say quite deliberately that the Christian religion, as organized in its churches, has been and still is the principal enemy of moral progress in the world.”
    — Bertrand Russell, Why I am Not a Christian, 1927

#39     Dec 5, 2011
  10. rew

rew

I think that you have said enough to conclusively prove that you are a totalitarian who insists that everybody think the way you do, or be condemned as evil. You are typical of the left in that you don't want to go through the effort and risk of starting your own business but do insist that you have the right to tell those who have done so how to run theirs.

Now if somebody put up separate water fountains for "White" and "Colored" I simply wouldn't patronize his business. Problem solved.

#40     Dec 5, 2011