crazy christians:god sends people to hell because he loves them

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Dec 20, 2011.

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FmIMAA46A8&feature=g-u&context=G21e4521FUAAAAAAAWAA

Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man -- living in the sky -- who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do.. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time! ..But He loves you.

written by George Carlin

2. Lucrum

Lucrum

Too bad George Carlin can't come back from the grave and confirm for us that
    he still feels the same way.

3. St. Luke...... maybe God can send the real McCoy back here like promised and clear up lot of the mess we are now in , instead of making us listen to what was written and rewritten 100's of years after HIS death which was for MY sins.

4. <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gPOfurmrjxo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. Lucrum

Lucrum

Sometimes I think lefties believe that George Carlin and Jon Stewart, both comedians, are the be all end all of...well...everything.

6. I've wondered about this for a while and while I still don't get it, what I've learned is that Carlin is totally taking a comedic SPIN on things. There is not much in scripture that supports that interpretation when looked at as a whole and in context. It's like reading any book today and pointing at the first chapter or last chapter or middle chapter and saying "this is the point of the book" without looking at the context of the whole thing.

Again considering I'm just learning this stuff ... here's what I've got so far:

The common notion that hell is a place of torment rules by the devil to torture people is out of movies and cartoons, it is not supported in scripture. There is a difference between hell/hades/sheol and gehenna which is the lake of fire, the actual final destination once all of Gods plans/works are complete. Hell is temporary and is also different from purgatory. Hades was meant as a place of punishment for the devil or satan, lucifer, and those angels who joined in his rebellion against God. In the Old Testament I think there is mention of good and bad parts of hell, but I could be wrong. The point is more to show there is a lot more than the comedic oversimplification meant for a laugh ... it wouldn't be funny if told the reality as it really is. This happens in a lot of comedy, reality is twisted and skewed a bit and you have a "willing suspension of disbelief", this happens when watching movies too -- you consciously know things aren't real but to enjoy it you don't analyze or think about the things that don't make sense.

IF YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW ... do a search for something like: 'difference between [words you are curious about]'. There is lots of good info written by people a lot better versed in this stuff than me.

7. You too are an atheist, you are in the same group of so many that you despise.

8. jem

jem

Crazy Atheist Disclaimer:

This thread started by a fundamentalist. He is proof the spectrum is an oval not a straight line.

He stepped over from the fringe "fundamentalist Christian" side to the fringe fundamentalist atheist side. For him it was a small step around the back.