Crazy airport security theater affecting travel & economy?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by hippie, Nov 19, 2010.

1. The largest threat is a ceramic knife which cannot be detected by a metal detector. Ceramic knives are stronger then regular knives in some situations and absent any metal are completely undetectable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceramic_knife

The reason why they pat around the groin area is because they fear someone might tape a large ceramic life to their leg. A woman could also have one taped around her breast area.

Another threat is medical devices like walking canes. There are canes out there which have hidden compartments (like the one by Cold Steel) and were specifically designed with fighting in mind.

Although the TSA is not saying, this is their reasoning.

The question is would you rather have your groin groped or the risk of someone popping up with a ceramic fighting knife?

#41     Nov 20, 2010

2. I would rather risk the ceramic knife. In fact, I may just start flying El AL. I trust them over some rent a cop with a TSA badge.

#42     Nov 21, 2010
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

Just flew in from Cancun, Mexico. No full body scan, no shoe checks (you don't have to take them off), and they didn't check that the name on my boarding pass and in the passport are the same. I didn't have to open my passport until I actually boarded the plane. But they took away my wife's used sunscreen and some body lotion.

Go figure.

Any real terrorist would start from a foreign country, not from inside the US, so the scanners are worthless....

#43     Nov 21, 2010
  4. you complain that body scanners are too invasive so instead you propose an extensive interview process full of invasive questions for every passenger? okaaaaay

#44     Nov 21, 2010
  5. I was in Cancun in September. I remember going through the security check. I did not have to remove my shoes and they even had a sign stating to keep my shoes on. After I came through the metal detector they then searched my bag practically taking everything out and examining it. They were kind and helped me put everything back in. I did have a pair of nail clippers which had a small file. They broke the file off and gave me back the clippers.

Then, at the gate, there were more guards with folding tables. Once again, I had to take everything out of my bags. They searched through everything.

I believe if the TSA acted nicer then people would not come down so hard on them. On several occasions, I have seen the TSA first hand talk down and demean people when it didnt have to be that way.

Is it a policy at the TSA to be an asshole?

#45     Nov 21, 2010
  6. Pekelo

Pekelo

The funny thing is that going into Mexico via airport was more strict, then coming out. After we landed and got our suitcases, they put it through a giant X-ray machine and the small handbags were randomly checked (one has to push a button and when it comes up red, checking).

Of course my wife got lucky again and they checked her luggage personally. The only problem was that their security person couldn't do it without a supervisor present, so we had to wait a little extra for the supervisor to come over. I didn't really see the need for having 2 people going through personal stuffs, but whatever.

A little extra:

On our 2nd day there was an explosion at the neighbour resort 2 miles away killing 5 Canadians and 2 Mexicans. At first it wasn't clear what caused it (later they blamed it on swamp gas) and all morning the area was full of policemen with semiautomatic weapons controlling the roads and streets. Since this was my first time in Mexico, first I thought that is the norm.

They do have police checking points on the highway what slows the traffic down and I never figured out what they check for by just looking at cars...

#46     Nov 21, 2010
  7. kashirin

kashirin

I don't see how terrorist can blow a plane with ceramic knife

#47     Nov 21, 2010
  8. tortoise

tortoise

9. LEAPup

LEAPup

I used to think my Country (US) was the smartest on the golbe. Well, that thought is long, long gone. Sadly...

The tsa is a group of bumbling beurecrats that made a new mother drink her pumped breast milk out of the baby bottle to "make sure it wasn't an explosive/flammable." I'm pretty sure my dog could do a better job. You'd also think our "genious" government would learn how Israel's LL airlines does it. When you fly on LL, there are plain clothed commandos in the front and back of planes with full auto UZI's, and Glock pistols hidden, but ready and willing to use. Strange... They've never had a terror incident. Hmmmmm.....

Now we have these dumbasses running high performance screeners and leaking pics of peoples "junk." God help America! On a funny note, I'd love to see some crazy guy buy some 20+inch monster dildo, stuff it down his pants, and go through the scanner. Bet that would be a classic!

#49     Nov 21, 2010
  10. tortoise

tortoise