Crash of 2005

Discussion in 'Trading' started by SkinnyV, Nov 7, 2005.

1. If GM keeps making lows in the next coming days, maybe your wish for a crash but a mini one may come true..

#31     Nov 10, 2005
  2. SkinnyV

SkinnyV

Apex,

I trade NYSE and NASDAQ equities: average size 2500 shares. More liquid stocks (INTC, CSCO etc I will trade 10K).

I trade OEX contracts in size from 10 to 20. I also sell QQQQ and SPY options short on both sides. I trade spreads also.

Back to your last post. My hold time for equties is usually between 3 - 5 days. Option positions are obviously longer.

As I mentioned before, I feel my problem this year has been my one sided opinion concerning the direction of the market. March and April the market got hit and I got rewarded. My problem in May was being to "aggressive" with a handful of bear spreads (both credit and debit). Notice when the S&P bounced to 1178 on May 9th; from that point on I thought it was on.

May 16th was the beginning of my pain.

#32     Nov 10, 2005
  3. SkinnyV

SkinnyV

Regarding your comment concerning GM and F; I can't believe the market is ignoring this information (in general).

As another example, take a look at EXPD. Hard to believe there is no profit taking on that stock. It's hard not to notice these market events.

#33     Nov 10, 2005
  4. Do you daytrade? Looks like u swing trade equity
    ?

#34     Nov 10, 2005
  5. Understood.

It's not at all wrong to have an opinion since that is what helps you initiate the beginning of your trade. It's the timing of hopping off of that specific opinion and ringing the register that is obviously key.

Perhaps you should lean towards the outlook that this is simply a "trading range" kind of market ( 1180 - 1230 ) until proven otherwise, or atleast unwind a decent portion of your position at those key levels. Of course, it's always easier said than done, but atleast you are aware of your tendencies, and that is a very important part of the game . . . knowing your tendencies.

#35     Nov 10, 2005
  6. #36     Nov 10, 2005
  7. SkinnyV

SkinnyV

Trend Fader,

I also daytrade. Mostly high beta stocks (i.e. GOOG, WFMI, CME, etc).

#37     Nov 10, 2005
  8. damn i wish i saw this earlier!!

Look at the market rip!!

ET, simply the best.

#38     Nov 10, 2005
  9. You don't read english ? It's about I quote the document "shock testing in economic engineering"

so keep cool with crash it's just a test :p
    and it's so funny when market plunge no :D

#39     Nov 10, 2005